Planning and Evaluation of Mental Health Services in Italy
Since the end of World War II, there has been a widespread opinion that it would be better to transfer the functions of mental hospitals to psychiatric units in general hospitals and to local non residential or semi-residential services. Many efforts have been carried out toward this goal, but no legislator had ever considered the possibility of prohibiting admissions to the traditional mental hospital. Nevertheless, in Italy this prohibition has been operating since 1978; for this reason, the ongoing organization of mental health services has been a source of great concern among politicians and research workers of many countries. The present report tries to describe some characteristics of the new organization, to provide some local trends based on empirical work and to discuss some preliminary issues for future planning and further research.
KeywordsMental Health Service Residential Treatment Mental Hospital Public Mental Health Case Register
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Tansella, G. Meneghelli, and O. Siciliani, Implementing a community psychiatric service in South Verona under the new Italian mental health act, Psychiat. Soc. Science 2: 105 (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.R. Misiti, Future developtments in Italy, Presented at the E.S.F. workshop on “Needed areas of research on long-term treatment of functional psychoses”, Bagnaia (Italy) 9th-llth May, 1983Google Scholar
- 3.F.C.R.S. sulla Devianza e l’Emarginazione, “Manicomiomania: testi delle proposte di legge sulla 180”, Ed. Dedalo, Bari (1982)Google Scholar
- 5.J. K. Wing, and A. M. Hailey (eds), “Evaluating a community psychiatric service: the Camberwell Register, 1964–71”, Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust, Oxford University Press, London (1972)Google Scholar
- 9.E. Torre, D. Ebbli, A. Marinoni, G. Allegri, P. Ciancaglini, and C. Castelnovi, I registri dei casi psichiatrici di Lomest e dell’Albenganese: confronto di dati per la valutazione dei servizi, Riv. Sper. Freniatr. 107: 62 (1983)Google Scholar
- 10.D. Ebbli and P. Bonizzoni, Prime valutazioni dei servizi psichiatrici di due aree sanitarie della regione Liguria:l’Albenganese e Genova I^, Formaz. Psichiatr. 3: 129 (1983)Google Scholar
- 11.E. Torre, A. Marinoni, C. Girardengo, G. Scoglia, I. Oberti, and V. Demicheli, Uno studio comparativo dell’utenza dei servizi psichiatrici di due aree sanitarie: i registri di Lomest e del Novese, Formaz. Psichiatr. 3: 95 (1983)Google Scholar
- 12.General Register Office, “A Glossary of Mental Disorders”, H.M.S.O., London (1968)Google Scholar