Interaction of Physical and Psychological Stressors at Work - Mental Health Effects
In a recent paper Bertil Gardell (1982) argues that: “Work stress is shown to be problematic in two ways. First there may be a direct relation between certain objective working conditions, physiological and psychological stress and ill-health. Second, certain stress conditions may create fatigue and/or passivity and thus make it more difficult for individuals to actively involve themselves in changing those working conditions — including physical and chemical risk factors — that may be detrimental to health”.
KeywordsPsychosocial Factor Occupational Psychiatry Work Related Factor Workplace Factor Physical Environmental Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ader, R. (Ed.), 1981, Psychoneuroimmunology. Academic Press, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- Black, Sir Douglas, 1981, Inequalities in health. Report of the Working Party on Inequalities in Health. Department of Health and Social Security, H.M.S.O., London, 1980.Google Scholar
- Cherry, N., Waldron, H.A., Well, G.G., Wilkonson, R.T., Wilson, H.K. and Jones, S., 1980, An investigation of the acute behavioural effects of styrene on factory workers. Brit. J. Indust. Med., 37, 234–40, 1980.Google Scholar
- Cullen, J., Fuller, R. and Dolphin, C., 1979, Endocrine stress responses of drivers in a “real-life” heavy-goods vehicle driving task. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 4, 107–115, 1979.Google Scholar
- Harkonen, H., 1977, Relationship of symptoms to occupational styrene exposure and to the findings of electroencephalographic and psychological examinations. Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health, 40, 231–9, 1977.Google Scholar
- Laursen, P., 1970, Work Environment for Bus-drivers, 1. Institute for Social Medicine, Copenhagen University, Report No. 11, 1980.Google Scholar
- Morris, J.N., 1953, Coronary heart disease and physical activity at work. Lancet, 2, 1111–1113, 1953.Google Scholar
- Nicolin, A., Cosco, A., Marelli, 0. and Sarra, F., 1980, Toxicology of immunity. In:C.L. Galli, S.D. Murphy and R. Paoletti (eds.) The Principles and Methods in Modern Toxicology. Elsevier/ North Holland Biomedical Press, 1980.Google Scholar
- Poulton, E.C., 1978, Blue collar stressors. In: C.L. Cooper and R.C. Payne (Eds.) Stress at Work. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1978.Google Scholar