The structure of proteinoids should be of special interest to the peptide chemist and those studying the prebiotic chemical evolution preceding the origin of life. Fox and his colleagues (1980) have experimentally discovered a number of interesting properties of the proteinoids (thermal polyamino acids) such as their ability to form microspheres (protocells) in aqueous solutions and specific catalytic activities which would be necessary to form polymers. A number of parameters can influence the polymerization of the amino acids such as: reactivities, steric constraints of the amino acid side chains as well as the growing polymer chain, stability of intermediates and products, hydrogen-bonding interactions and amino acid composition of the polymerization mixture. A great deal of information is necessary on structure of the polymers in order to understand their ability to coalesce into microspheres and ability to act as specific catalyts.
KeywordsAmino Acid Composition Polymerization Mixture Thermal Polymerization Cyclic Dipeptide Activate Amino Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dose, K., and Zaki, L., 1971, Z. Naturforsch., 26b: 144.Google Scholar
- Fox, S. W., 1968, Encycl. Polym. Sci. Technol., 9: 294.Google Scholar
- Fox, S. W., 1976, in: “Protein Structure and Function,” J. L. Fox, L. Deyl, and A. Blazej, eds., p. 125, Marcel Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Hubbard, W. L., 1973, “Thermal peptides: An attempt to remove the pyrrolidone carboxyl residues from the N-terminal ends,” M.S. thesis, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama.Google Scholar
- Inoue, C., and Yamada, T., 1979, “A synthetic method for pyroglutamyl peptides,” Jpn. Kokai Tokkyo Koho, 79: 19, 967.Google Scholar
- Katchalski, A., and Ailam, G., 1967, Biochim. Biophys. Acta., 140: 1.Google Scholar
- Melius, P., 1977, in: “Bioorganic Chemistry, Vol. III, Macro-andMultimolecular Systems,” E. van Tamelin, ed., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Melius, P., 1983, unpublished work.Google Scholar
- Nakashima, T., Jungck, J. R., Fox, S. W., Lederer, E., and Das, B. C., 1977, Int. J. Quant. Chem., QBS4: 65.Google Scholar
- Sheng, J. Y. P., 1974, “Studies on thermal polymerization of six amino acids,” M.S. thesis, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama.Google Scholar