Treatment of Vasogenic Edema by Cdp-Choline, a Metabolic Precursor of Phospholipids (Experimental and Clinical Data)
The available biochemical data about CDP Choline as an intermediate in lipid metabolism, as well as its use as a drug in a number of pathological conditions of the brain, have been extensively reviewed5. CDP Choline may be considered to enhance the repair of phospholipid structures, initiating the present experimental study on an animal model of vasogenic brain edema. The results obtained on the model led to its clinical application in a series of severe head injuries, a condition in which brain edema is supposed to play an important role.
KeywordsBrain Edema VASOGENIC Edema Severe Head Injury Brain Water Content Cold Injury
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bourouresque J: Valutazione clinica délia citicolina nel trat-tamento dell’ insufficenza circolatoria cerebrale scompensata. T.B. Today 6, 7–16 (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.Cohadon F, Richer E, Poletto B: Etude d’un précurseur des phospholipides dans le traitement des comas traumatiques graves. Neurochirurgie, in press.Google Scholar
- 3.Cohadon F, Rigoulet M, Averet N: Alterations of membrane bound enzymes in vasogenic edema. This symposium.Google Scholar
- 4.Goas JY: Effeti délia citicolina su pazienti cerebrovasculo-patici studio multicentro in cecita doppia. T.B. Today, 6, 17–24 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.Nilsson B: CDP Choline. A short review. In: Drug treatment and prevention in cerebro-vascular disorders. Tognoni G, Garattini S (Eds), Elsevier North Holland Biochemical Press (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.Zappia V, Romeo G, Cocchiara G, de Rosa M: Transport of double labelled CDP Choline in various experimental models. 12th world congress of Neurology, KYOTO (1981).Google Scholar