A Model to Study Ischemic Brain Edema in Rats and the Influence of Drugs
We have recently reported that middle cerebral artery (MCA) occlusion in rats produces a uniform pattern of cerebral infarction13. Development of edema in this model was further studied using exogenous and endogenous protein tracers. It was found that vasogenic edema developed several hours after MCA occlusion3. The purpose of the present study was to find out whether progression of edema can be quantitatively evaluated in this model of focal cerebral ischemia. The effect of dexamethasone and of a nicotinamide derivative (AVS: 1,2-Bis(nicotinamido)propane) in the time-course of edema were studied in addition. The therapeutic effect of steroids on ischemic brain edema is still a controversial subject. AVS is a scavenger of hydroxyl radicals (OH). Since involvement of free radicals is considered in ischemic brain edema, treatment with AVS was compared with that of dexamethasone.
KeywordsBrain Edema Focal Cerebral Ischemia Systemic Arterial Pressure Brain Water Content Daily Increment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Demopoulos HB, Flamm ES, Seligman ML: Molecular biology of lipids in CNS membranes. In: Oxygen and Physiological Function, Jöbsis FF (Ed.) Dallas, Professional Information Library, 491–508 (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.Gotoh O, Asano T, Tamura A, Takakura K: Ischemic brain edema and the glutathione system. Proceedings of the Vth International Symposium on ICP, in press, May (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.Katzman R, Clasen R, Klatzo I, Meyer JS, Pappius HM, Waltz AG: Report of Joint Committee for Stroke Resources. IV. Brain edema in stroke. Stroke 8: 510–540 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.Koide T, Takato M, Noda Y, Matsushita H, Hata S: Improvement of cerebral circulation by 1,2-Bis (nicotinamido) propane (AVS). 12th World Congress of Neurology (Kyoto, Japan). Exceprta Medica, 125 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.Koide T, Neichi T, Takato M, Matsushita, H. Sugioka K, Nakano M, Hata SI: Possible mechanisms of 15-hydroperoxyarachidonic acid induced contraction of the canine basilar artery in vitro J Pharmacol Exp Ther 221(2): 481–486 (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.Mizukami M, Neichi T, Yamazaki T: Effects of AVS (1,2-Bis(nico-tinamido)propane) on vascular endothelium and platelet function. Paper in preparation.Google Scholar
- 12.Scheinberg P: Management of acute ischemic stroke. Adv Neurol 25: 263–268 (1979).Google Scholar