One of the most consistent findings from research into suicidal behavior is that males kill themselves more than females. In contrast, females attempt suicide more than males. This sex difference has been found in almost all nations, in almost all eras, and in almost all subgroups of the population of a given nation (for example, in white and black Americans, in the single, widowed, married, and divorced, and in all age groups).
KeywordsLabor Force Attempted Suicide Suicidal Behavior Suicide Rate Mental Hygiene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Durkheim, E. Suicide. New York: Free Press, 1951.Google Scholar
- Farberow, N. L. Self-destruction and identity. Humanitas, 1970, 6, 45–68.Google Scholar
- Farberow, N. L., and Shneidman, E. S. The cry for help. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1961.Google Scholar
- Gibbs, J., and Martin, W. Status integration and suicide. Eugene: University of Oregon Press, 1964.Google Scholar
- Gove, W. Sex differences in the epidemiology of mental disorder. In E. S. Gomberg and V. Franks (Eds.), Gender and disordered behavior. New York: Brunner/Mazel, 1979. Pp. 23–68.Google Scholar
- Hattem, J. V. Precipitating role of discordant interpersonal relationships in suicidal behavior. Dissertation Abstracts, 1964, 25, 1335–1336.Google Scholar
- Henry, A., and Short, J. Suicide and homicide. New York: Free Press, 1954.Google Scholar
- Lemkau, P., Tietze, C., and Cooper, M. Mental hygiene problems in an urban district. Mental Hygiene, 1942, 26, 100–119.Google Scholar
- Lester, D. Why people kill themselves. Springfield, Ill.: Charles C Thomas, 1972.Google Scholar
- Lester, D. Sex differences in suicidal behavior. In E. S. Gomberg and V. Franks (Eds.), Gender and disordered behavior. New York: Brunner/Mazel, 1979. Pp. 287–300.Google Scholar
- Metropolitan Life. Recent trends in suicide. Statistical Bulletin, 1976, 57(May), 5-7.Google Scholar
- Roth, W. F., and Luton, F. H. The mental health program in Tennessee. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1943, 99, 662–675.Google Scholar
- Stack, S. Suicide. Social Forces, 1978, 57, 644–653.Google Scholar