Senescence, Sex Roles, and Stress Shepherding Resources into Old Age
In old age, breakdown is generally manifested in depression for women and death for men. We maintain that the key to this sex difference lies, at least in part, in the sex role histories accumulated over a lifetime, since sex roles expose individuals to different types of stress and do not grant the same access to coping resources for both genders. The influence of sex differences on the problems encountered during senescence is the impetus for this chapter.
KeywordsSocial Support Contingency Plan Role Strain Basic Trust Resistance Resource
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonovsky, A. Health, stress, and coping. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1979.Google Scholar
- Block, M. R., Davidson, J. L., and Grambs, J. D. Women over forty: Visions and realities. New York: Springer, 1981.Google Scholar
- Butler, R. Psychiatry. In I. Rossman (Ed.), Clinical geriatrics. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1971. Pp. 519–550.Google Scholar
- Cobb, S. Social support and health through the life course. In M. W. Riley (Ed.), Aging from birth to death: Interdisciplinary perspectives. AAAS Selected Symposium 30. Boulder: Westview Press, 1979. Pp. 93–106.Google Scholar
- Erikson, E. Childhood and society (2nd ed.). New York: Norton, 1963.Google Scholar
- Livson, F. Changing sex roles in the social environment of later life. Paper presented for conference, Aging and milieu: Environmental perspectives on growing old, West Virginia University, May 21–23, 1981.Google Scholar
- Lowenthal, M. F., Chiriboga, D., and Thurnher, M. Four stages of life. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1975.Google Scholar
- Nahemow, L., and Pousada, L. Geriatric diagnostics. New York: Springer, 1983.Google Scholar
- Pearlin, L. Sex roles and depression. In N. Datan and L. H. Ginsberg (Eds.), Life-span developmental psychology: Normative life crises. New York: Academic Press, 1975. Pp. 191–207.Google Scholar
- Skogan, W. G., and Maxfield, M. G. Coping with crime. Beverly Hills, Calif.: Sage, 1981.Google Scholar
- Weissman, M. W. Depression. In A. M. Brodsky and R. T. Hare-Mustin (Eds.), Women and psychotherapy. New York: Guilford Press, 1980. Pp. 97–112.Google Scholar
- Zarit, S. H. Aging and mental disorders: Psychological approaches to assessment and treatment. New York: Free Press, 1980.Google Scholar