Although numerous recent studies have implicated prostaglandins in the control of the immune response, both suppressive and stimulatory effects have been reported. While our earlier studies dealing with transplantation suggested PGE compounds have potent immunosuppressive actions, our later studies, which have focused on tumor-bearing animals, have demonstrated that these compounds stimulate the immune response. This chapter will review our work on prostaglandins and immunoregulation and clarify this apparent paradox.
KeywordsSkin Allograft Numerous Recent Study Normal Mouse Control Skin Allograft Survival Potent Immunosuppressive Action
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cunningham, A.J. and Szenberg, A., 1968, Further Improvements in the Plaque Technique for Detecting Single Antibody-Forming Cells, Immunol., 14:599.Google Scholar
- Favalli, C., Garaci, E., Santoro, M.G., Santucci, L., and Jaffe, B. M., The Effect of PGA1 on the Immune Response in B-16 Melanoma-Bearing Mice, Prostaglandins, 19:587.Google Scholar
- Hofer, D., Dubitsky, A.M., and Jaffe, B.M., 1980, Prostaglandin Potentiation of the Effect of chemotherapy on B-16 Melanoma, Surg. Forum, 31:417.Google Scholar
- Jaffe, B.M., Parker, C.W., Marshall, G.P., and Needleman, P., 1972, Renal Concentrations of Prostaglandins in Acute and Chronic Renal Ischemia, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm, 49:799.Google Scholar
- Jaffe, B.M., Behrman, H.R., and Parker, C.W., 1973, Radioimmunoassay Measurement of Prostaglandins E, A, and F in Human Plasma, J. Clin. Invest, 52:398.Google Scholar
- Jaffe, B.M., and Moore, T.C., 1974, Elevation in Prostaglandin E Activity of Rat Heart Allograft Coronary Sinus Venous Blood, IRCS Med. Sci, 2:1417.Google Scholar
- Mittal, K.K., Mickey, M.R., Singal, D.P., and Terasaki, P.I., 1968, Serotyping for Homotransplantation. XVIII. Refinement of Micro-droplet Lymphocyte Cytotoxicity Test, Transplantation, 6:913.Google Scholar
- Ono, K., and Lindsey, E.S., 1969, Improved Technique of Heart Transplantation in Rats, J. Thoracic Cardiovasc. Surg, 57:225.Google Scholar
- Santoro, M.G., and Jaffe, B.M., 1979, Inhibition of Friend and Ery-throleukaemia-Cell Tumors “in vivo” by a Synthetic Analogue of Prostaglandin E2, Brit. J. Cancer, 319:408.Google Scholar