Neuroleptics and Prolactin
In 1955, shortly after its introduction as an antipsychotic, clinicians noted that chlorpromazine occasionally induced galactorrhea (Hooper et al., 1961). It was not until 1971, however, that chlorpromazine, and other neuroleptics as well, were found to regularly elevate serum prolactin (PRL) (Beumont et al., 1974). This observation and our current understanding of its mechanism awaited a series of conceptual and methodological advances.
KeywordsSchizophrenic Patient Tardive Dyskinesia Extrapyramidal Side Effect Radioreceptor Assay Neuroleptic Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bjorndal, N., Bjerre, M., Gerlach, J., Kristjansen, P., Magelund, G., Oestrich, I. H., and Waehrens, J., 1980, High dosage haloperidol therapy in chronic schizophrenic patients: A double-blind study of clinical response, side effects, serum haloperidol, and serum prolactin, Psychopharmacology 67:17.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brown, W. A., and Laughren, T. P., 1981a, Low serum prolactin and early relapse following neuroleptic withdrawal, Am. J. Psychiatry 183:237.Google Scholar
- Davis, J. M., Erickson, S., and Dekirmenjian, H., 1972, Plasma levels of anti-psychotic drugs and clinical response, in: Psychopharmacology: A Generation of Progress (M. A. Lipton, A. DiMascio, and K. F. Killman, eds.), pp. 905–915, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Evans, L. E. J., Beumont, P. J. V., Luttrell, B., Henniker, A. J., and Penny, J., 1980, Prolactin response as a guide to neuroleptic treatment of schizophrenia, Prog. Reprod. Biol. 6:260.Google Scholar
- Hogarty, G. E., Schooler, N. R., Ulrich, R., Mussare, F., Ferro, P., and Herron, E., 1979, Fluphenazine and social therapy in the aftercare of schizophrenic patients: Relapse analysis of a two-year controlled study of fluphenazine decanoate and fluphenazine hydrochloride, Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 36:1283.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hollister, L. E., 1977, Antipsychotic medications and the treatment of schizophrenia, in: Psycho-pharmacology: From Theory to Practice (J. Barchas, P. Berger, R. Ciaranello, and G. Elliott, eds.), pp. 121–150, Oxford University Press, London.Google Scholar
- Pasteels, J. L., 1961, Secretion of prolactin by the pituitary in tissue culture, C. R. Acad. Sci. 253:2140.Google Scholar
- Wistedt, B., 1981, Withdrawal of long-acting neuroleptics in schizophrenic outpatients: Clinical and biological findings, Acta Univ. Ups. 397:1.Google Scholar