A Study of Circadian Variation of Platelet Serotonin Uptake and Serum Cortisol in Patients with Major Depression
The blood platelet shares many characteristics in common with synaptosomes, and has been suggested as a model for central serotoninergic neuronal functioning (Murphy et al., 1970; Stahl, 1977). Serotonin (5HT) has been indirectly implicated in the pathophysiology of depression (van Praag and Korf, 1971) and, as such, the uptake of 5HT into the platelet assumes potential importance as a possible indicator of central 5HT uptake activity, as both platelets and synaptosomes share similar Michaelis constants (K m ) for 5HT uptake to the nearest order of magnitude (Stahl and Meltzer, 1978; Smith et al., 1978).
KeywordsSerum Cortisol Blood Platelet Circadian Variation Serotonin Uptake Endogenous Depression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abraham, G. E., 1973, Radioimmunoassay of plasma steroid hormones, in: Modern Method of Steroid Analysis (E. Heftman, ed.), pp. 451–470, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Krieger, D. T., 1973, Neurotransmitter regulation of ACTH release, Mt. Sinai J. Med. N. Y. 40:302.Google Scholar
- Krieger, D. T., 1978, Endocrine processes and serotonin, in: Serotonin in Health and Disease: The Central Nervous System (W. E. Essman, ed.), Vol. III, pp. 51–67, Spectrum Publications, New York.Google Scholar
- Meltzer, H. Y., Arora, R., Baber, R., Busch, D., Kaskey, G., Nasr, S., Piyakalamala, S., and Tricou, B. J., 1980, Serotonin uptake in blood platelets of depressed patients, Society of Biological Psychiatry, 35th Annual Convention and Scientific Program, Boston.Google Scholar
- Oxenkrug, G. H., Prakhje, I., and Mikhalenke, I. N., 1978, Disturbed circadian rhythm of 5HT uptake by blood platelets in depressive psychosis, Act. Nerv. Super. 20:66.Google Scholar
- Paul, S. M., and Rehavi, M., 1981, Imipramine binding in man and depressive illness, Presented at the American Psychiatric Association annual meeting, New Orleans.Google Scholar
- Ross, S. B., Aperia, B., Beck-Friis, J., Jansa, S., Wetterberg, L., and Aberg, A., 1980, Inhibition of 5-hydroxytryptamine uptake in human platelets by antidepressant agents in vivo, Psycho-pharmacology 67:1.Google Scholar
- Shah, N. S., Burch, E. A., Yates, J. D., May, D. A., Donald, A. G., Freed, J. E., and Pressley, L. C., 1980, Dopamine uptake by human blood platelets, Res. Commun. Psychol. Psychiatr. Behav. 5:25.Google Scholar
- Tuomisto, J., Tukiainen, E., Voutilainen, R., and Tuomainen, P., 1980, Inhibition of 5-hydroxytryptamine and noradrenaline uptake in platelets and synaptosomes incubated in plasma from human subjects treated with amitriptyline or nortriptyline: Utilization of the principle for a bioassay method, Psychopharmacology 69:137.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar