Finding the Right Funder for You
According to one experienced financial aid officer, “millions of dollars worth of scholarships, grants, and other financial aid go unclaimed every year.”1 In 1979 alone, $135 million in possible grant funding was not awarded simply because people didn’t know where to look. Identifying potential funders, or what seasoned fund raisers refer to as “prospect research,” is a lengthy, tedious process. Although it lacks glamour, there is no way of getting around the essential detective work involved in finding the right funder for you.
KeywordsCorporate Social Responsibility Phone Number Subject Field Computer File Reference Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barzun, J., & Graff, H.F. The modern researcher, (Rev. ed.). New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1957.Google Scholar
- Broce, T. E. Fund raising, The guide to raising money from private sources. Norman: Univ. of Oklahoma Press, 1979.Google Scholar
- Fund Raising: A guide for research on individuals. Los Angeles: Gary W. Phillips and Associates, 1978.Google Scholar
- Glass, S. A. A winning strategy; for victory in the home stretch, spend more time cultivating foundations and less mailing proposals.” Case Currents, May 1980, pp. 29–31.Google Scholar
- Heaton, W. E.Research: Key to fund raising success. Philanthropy Monthly, June 1980, pp. 22–25.Google Scholar
- Kohl, K. A. & Kohl, I. C. Financing college education. New York: Harper & Row, 1980.Google Scholar
- Koochoo, E. Prospecting, Searching out the philanthropic dollar. Washington, D.C.: Taft Corp. 1979.Google Scholar
- Kurzig, C. M. Foundation fundamentals. New York: The Foundation Center, 1980.Google Scholar
- Law-Yone, W. Company information, A model investigation. Washington, D.C.: Washington Researchers, 1980.Google Scholar
- Margolin, J. B. About foundations, How to find the facts you need to get a grant (Rev. ed.). New York: The Foundation Center, 1977.Google Scholar
- Zallen, H. & Zallen E. M. Ideas plus dollars, Research methodology and funding. Norman, Okla.: Academic World, 1976.Google Scholar