Construct Validation of the MMPI Alexithymia Scale
Since Sifneos (1973) introduced the concept of alexithymia, several investigators have attempted to develop reliable and valid instruments for measuring it. The most recent of these is a 22-item MMPI alexithymia scale which was derived on the basis of correlations with the Beth Israel Psychosomatic Questionnaire (BIQ) by Kleiger and Kinsman (1980). This new scale is reported to have impressive stability over time and to have an 82% hit rate when predicting to BIQ alexithymia scores. However, the construct validity of the MMPI alexithymia scale has not been evaluated previously.
KeywordsSignificant Inverse Correlation Word Count Discriminant Function Analysis Mount Sinai Hospital Alexithymia Score
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beck, S. J.; Beck, A.; Levitt, E. E. and Molish, H. B.: 1961, Rorschach’s Test: I. Basic Processes ( 3rd Edition ), Grune and Stratton, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Defourny, M.; Hubin, P. and Luminet, D.: 1976/77, Alexithymia, pensee operatoire and predisposition to coronopathy. Psychother. Psychosom. 27: 106–114.Google Scholar
- 3.Jackson, M.: 1977, Psychopathology and ‘pseudo-normality’ in ulcerative colitis. Psychother. Psychosom. 28: 179–186.Google Scholar
- 4.Jackson, D. N. and Messick, S., 1967, (Eds): Problems in human assessment, McGraw Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Kleigher, J. H. and Kinsman, R. A.,1980, The development of an NMPI alexithymia scale. Psychother. Psychosom. 34: 17–24.Google Scholar
- 7.Nunnally, J. C. 1967, Psychometric theory, McGraw Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- 8.Rad, M. von; Lolucat, L. and Lolas, F., 1977, Differences of verbal behavior in psychosomatic and psychoneurotic patients. Psychother. Psychosom. 28: 83–97.Google Scholar
- 9.Rad, M. von; Drucke, M.; Knauss, W. and Lolas, F., 1979, Alexithymia: a comparative study of verbal behavior in psychosomatic and psychoneurotic patients. In Gottschalk, The content analysis of verbal behavior: further studies, Spectrum publications, Jamaica, New York.Google Scholar
- 10.Rappaport, D.; Gill, M. M. and Schafer, R., 1968, Diagnostic psychological testing (ed. R. R. Holt), Int. Univ. Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 11.Sifneos, P., 1973, The prevalence of ‘alexithymic’ characteristics in psychosomatic patients. Psychother. Psychosom. 22: 255–262.Google Scholar
- 12.Taylor, G.; Doody, K. and Newman, A., in press 1981, Alexithymic characteristics in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Canadian Journal Psychiatry.Google Scholar