Mediator Interactions Regulating Macrophage Secretion of Interleukin 1 and Interferon
The mononuclear phagocyte system plays a critical role in host resistance to infection. The capacity of mononuclear phagocytes to deal with microorganisms appears, however, to be under regulatory control rather than static. Two mediators which appear to act in the process of macrophage differentiation and activation are interferon and colony-stimulating factor(s) (CSF). A substantial body of evidence indicates that interferon stimulates a variety of macrophage functions including phagocytosis, spreading, killing of microorganisms and tumor cells (1) and, recently, la-antigen expression (2). The effects of CSF are, however, less well known. The purpose of the present communication is to discuss recent findings which indicate that CSF as well as interferon can participate in the process of macrophage activation.
KeywordsMacrophage Activation Mononuclear Phagocyte System Interferon Production Plaque Reduction Assay Fibroblast Interferon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schultz, R.M., (1980). Lymphokine Rep. 1:63–97.Google Scholar
- 2.Steeg, P.S., Moore, R.N. and Oppenheim, J.J., (1981). Fed. Proc. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol. 40:771.Google Scholar
- 9.Oppenheim, J.J., Moore, R., Gmelig-Meyling, F., Togawa, A., Wahl, S., Mathieson, B.J., Dougherty, S., and Carter, C. (1980). in “Macrophage Regulation of Immunity” (E.R. Unanue and A.S. Rosenthal, eds.) pp. 379–398, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 10.Kampschmidt, R.F. (1980). in “Microbiology-1980” (D. Schlessinger, ed.) pp. 150–153, ASM, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 11.Murphy, P.A., Hanson, D.F., Simon, P.L., Willoughby, W.F. and Windle, B.E. (1980). in “Microbiology-1980” (D. Schlessinger, ed.) pp. 158–161, ASM, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 14.Moore, R.N., Vogel, S.N., Wahl, L.M. and Mergenhagen, S.E. (1980). in “Microbiology-1980” (D. Schlessinger, ed.), pp. 131–134, ASM, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 15.Moore, R.N., Hoffeld, J.T., Farrar, J.J., Mergenhagen, S.E., Oppenheim, J.J. and Shadduck, R.K. (1981). Lymphokines, 3:119–148.Google Scholar