The Role of Heart Binding Antibodies in Rheumatic Fever
It is obvious to any student of cardiology that the heart may be injured in a number of ways only some of which are immunologically mediated. However as our knowledge of cardiac pathologic mechanisms increases, it is this author’s opinion that immunological mechanisms will play a much greater role in cardiac pathology than has hitherto been suspected. On this note I would like to review with you at least one example where a microbial-host immunological interaction appears to play a dominant role in causing cardiac damage. Hopefully further knowledge of this disease state may provide information concerning a number of myocardial diseases the etiology of which is still unknown.
KeywordsRheumatic Fever Acute Rheumatic Fever Scarlet Fever Bovine Heart Protein Moiety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2).Cavelti, P.A., Autoantibodies in rheumatic fever. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med., 60:376 (1945).Google Scholar
- 3).Dale, J.B. and Beachey, E.H., Protective antibody against a peptide fragment of type 5 streptococcal M protein cross-reacts with human host tissue. Presented at the Fed, for Clinical Research, Washington, D.C., Abs. No. 565A (1982).Google Scholar
- 4).Gowrishanker, R., and Agarwal, S.C., Leucocyte migration inhibition with human heart valve glycoproteins and group A streptococcal ribonucleic acid proteins in rheumatic heart disease and post streptococcal glomerulonephritis. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 39:519–525 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6).Hutto, J.H., and Ayoub, E.M., Cytotoxicity of lymphocytes from patients with rheumatic carditis to cardiac cells in vitro, In “Streptococcal Diseases and the Immune Response”, Eds. Lead, S.E., and Zabriskie, J.B., Academic Press, NY, p. 733 (1980).Google Scholar
- 12).Reid, H.F.M., Read, S.E., Poon-King, T. and Zabriskie, J.B. The cellular immune response to streptococcal antigens in patients with post streptococcal sequelae in Trinidad, In “Streptococcal Diseases and the Immune Response”, S. Read and J.B. Zabriskie, eds., Academic Press, NY, p. 595 (1980).Google Scholar
- 17).Zabriskie, J.B., Read, S.E., and Ellis, R.J., Cellular and humoral studies in diseases with heartreactive antibodies, In “Papers in Immunology”, Academic Press, NY and London, p. 213 (1971).Google Scholar