Induction and Effector Function of T Cells
Immune response (Ir) genes are involved at both the induction and effector phase of T cell responses. To induce differentiation of precursors of effector cytotoxic T cells (Tc) or delayed-type hypersensitivity cells (Tdh) extrinsic antigen must be presented in the context of the appropriate major histocompatibility complex (MHC) determinants. In addition for induction of Tc and Tdh extrinsic antigen must activate T helper cells (Th) because the generation of most T cell effector functions like specific antibody production of B cells, is helper cell dependent. Generally Tdh and Th require the presentation of antigen in the context of class II MHC molecules (H-2Ia in mouse, HL-D antigens in man) whilst most Tc similarly use class I MHC molecules (H-2K/D/L in mouse, HL-A/B/C in man).
KeywordsMajor Histocompatibility Complex Graft Rejection Major Histocompatibility Complex Molecule Specific Antibody Production Skin Graft Rejection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.E. Simpson, T. Matsunaga, M. Brenan, C. Brunner, D. Benjamin, C. Hetherington, M. Hurme and P. Chandler. H-Y antigen as a model for tumour antigens: the role of H-2 associative antigens in controlling anti H-Y immune responses. Trans. Proc., 12: 103 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.D.L. Gasser. Genetic control of the immune response in mice. J. Irrmrunol., 103: 66 (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.R.D. Gordon, E. Simpson. Immune response gene control of cytotoxic T cell responses to H-Y. Trans. Proc., 9: 885 (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.G. Farmer, W. Fierz and E. Simpson. The influence of IgH-I genes on cytotoxic T cell responsiveness to H-Y in interaction with H-2 genes. In preparation.Google Scholar
- 13.W. Fierz, G. Farmer, J. Sheena and E. Simpson. Genetic analysis of the non-H-2 linked Ir-genes controlling the cytotoxic T-cell response to H-Y in H-2d mice. Submitted. 1982.Google Scholar
- 16.E. Simpson, D. Benjamin and P. Chandler. Non-responsiveness to H-Y: tolerance in H-lb mice. Trans. Proc., 13: 1880 (1981).Google Scholar