Suppression of Altered Acetylcholinesterase of the Green Rice Leafhopper by N-Propyl and N-Methyl Carbamate Combinations
The green rice leafhopper, Nephotettix cincticeps Uhler, has developed cross resistance to many carbamate insecticides in Japan and has caused serious problems in the protection of rice plants from the diseases that the hopper transmits. The worst problem is that this resistance has developed in areas where conventional or-ganophosphorus insecticides already have become useless. The resistance is mainly due to the reduced sensitivity of the hopper’s acetylcholinesterase (AChE) to carbamates and this finding has initiated research into the development of a new group of carbamates that would control the resistant green rice leafhopper.
KeywordsInhibition Site Carbamate Insecticide Methyl Carbamate Green Rice Leafhopper Nephotettix Cincticeps
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asakawa, M., and Kazano, H., 1978, Reports on insecticide-resistance research, Japan Plant Protection Association (1978) p. 10.Google Scholar
- Ayad, H., and Georghiou, G. P., 1975, Resistance to organophosphates and carbamates in Anopheles albimanus based on reduced sensitivity of acetylcholinesterase, J. Eoon. Entomol., 68:295.Google Scholar
- Fukuto, T. R., 1976, Carbamate insecticide, in: “The Future for Insecticides, Needs and Prospects,” R. L. Metcalf and J. J. Mckelvey Jr., eds., pp. 313–342, John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Georghiou, G. P., and Taylor, C. E., 1977, Pesticide resistance as an evolutionary phenomenon, Proc. XV Intr. Congr. Ent., pp. 759–785, Entomol. Soc. Amer.Google Scholar
- Hama, H., and Iwata, T., 1971, Insensitive Cholinesterase in the Nakagawara strain of the green rice leafhopper, Nephotettix einotioeps Uhler (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae), as a cause of resistance to carbamate insecticides, Appl. Ent. Zool., 6(4):183.Google Scholar
- Koyama, Y., Takahashi, Y., and Yamamoto, I., 1979, unpublished data.Google Scholar
- Kyomura, N., 1979, Aryl N-propyl carbamates, a potent inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase from the resistant green rice leafhopper, Nephotettix eineteoeps, Ph. D. thesis, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Chemistry, Tokyo, Japan.Google Scholar
- Metcalf, R. L., 1971, Structure-activity relationships for insecti-cidal carbamates, Bull. Wld. Hlth. Org., 44:43.Google Scholar