The Toxicology of Soot
In 1775 the London surgeon Sir Percival Pott published a monograph in which he described cancer of the scrotum as an occupational disease of chimney sweeps. In England chimneys which contained soot from burning of coal were cleaned by small boys who were made to climb the flues. In doing this the soot fell from the chimney and the boys became covered in soot. There were no facilities for washing or changing of clothes. Pott said that the disease was due to deposition of soot in the skin of the scrotum. This was probably the first definition of an external cause of cancer.
KeywordsPolycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Carbon Black Polycyclic Hydrocarbon Threshold Limit Value Cyclic Hydrocarbon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. L. Kennaway, Biochem. 24: 497 (1930)Google Scholar
- 2.J. W. Cook, C. L. Hewet and I. Hieger, J. Chem. Soc. 395 (1933)Google Scholar
- 3.L. F. Fieser, Proceedings of the Bicentenial Conference on “Production of Cancer by Polynuclear Hydrocarbons” ( University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia ) (1941)Google Scholar
- 5.E. Boyland and A. A. Levi, Biochem. J. 29: 2679 (1935)Google Scholar
- 7.R. D. Passey, Brit. Med. J. 2: 1112 (1922)Google Scholar
- 8.NIOSH Report, U. S. Dept. of Health Education and Welfare, Center for Disease Control “Criteria for a recommended standard - occupational exposure to carbon black”, Publication n°78–204 (Sept. 1978)Google Scholar
- 9.N. A. Troitskaya, S. K. Velichkovsky, S. K. Bilmullina, T. G. Sazhilla, N. V. Gorodnova and T. D. Andreeva, Gig. Truda. Prof. Zabol. 3: 32–36 (1975)Google Scholar
- 11.B. L. VanDuuren,“Chemical Carcinogen” American Chemical Society, Monography, 173: 24 (1976)Google Scholar
- 15.P. E. Steiner, Cancer Res. 14: 103 (1954)Google Scholar
- 16.F. Von Haam, H. C. Titus, I. Caplan and G. Y. Shinowara, Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 98: 95 (1958)Google Scholar
- 17.J. Neal, M. Thornton and Nau, Arch. Environ. Health 4: 598 (1962)Google Scholar
- 19.W. Kutscher, R. Tomingas and H. P. Weisfeld, Arch. Hyg. 151: 646 (1967)Google Scholar