Animal Models of Atherosclerosis
A vast amount of experimental work has been done in producing atherosclerotic disease in many kinds of animals. In more recent years attention has been directed to work on prevention and regression of lesions using diet, drugs, ileal diversion and so on. In this chapter we shall attempt to provide an overview of past work up to the present day. A few key references are appended to enable the reader to gain access to the precise details of the experiments that have been done.
KeywordsCholic Acid Evans Blue Fatty Streak Aortic Disease Precise Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Constantinides, Experimental atherosclerosis in the rabbit, in “Comparative Atherosclerosis”, J. C. Roberts and R. Straus, eds., Publisher, Harper (Hoeber) New York, 276, (1965).Google Scholar
- 2.T. B. Clarkson, Animal models of atherosclerosis, Adv. in vet. science and comp. med. 16: 151 (1972).Google Scholar
- 3.G. A. Gresham and A. N. Howard, The independent production of thrombosis and atherosclerosis in the rat, Br. J. exp. pathol. 41: 393 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.H. N. Adel, Q. B. Deming and L. Brun, Genetic hypercholesterolaemia in rats, Circulation 39 Supp. 3: 1 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.T. B. Clarkson, R. W. Prichard, M. G. Netsky and H. B. Lofland, Atherosclerosis in pigeons. Its spontaneous occurrence and resemblance to human atherosclerosis, A.M.A. Arch. pathol. 68: 143 (1959).Google Scholar
- 10.K. T. Lee, D. M. Kim and W. A. Thomas, Method for rapid production in swine of advanced coronary occlusive disease with myocardial infarction and sudden death, Circulation 41 Supp. 3: III: 9 (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.G. A. Gresham, Primate atherosclerosis, in Monographs on atherosclerosis 7 Publisher, S. Karger Basel (1976).Google Scholar
- 13.G. A. Gresham and A. N. Howard, Comparative pathology of spontaneously occurring and experimentally induced atherosclerotic lesions, Meth. Achievm. exp. Path. 1: 314 (1966).Google Scholar
- 18.G. A. Gresham, Reversing atherosclerosis, in “America Lecture Series”, Charles C. Thomas, Ed., Publisher Springfield, Illinois (1980).Google Scholar