Atherosclerosis: Its Origins and Development in Man
Arterial disease has been described in Egyptian mummies of the second century B.C.1 However these lesions are not atherosclerotic but consisted of the medial calcification of Monckeberg’s sclerosis which is well developed in the long arteries of the limbs. Anatomical descriptions of atherosclerosis were first made in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries but the clinical features of coronary artery disease did not become manifest until the start of the twentieth century.
KeywordsCoronary Artery Smooth Muscle Cell Aortic Calcification Intimal Thickening Fatty Streak
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.L. Jores, Arterien, in “Handbuch der speziellen pathologischen Anatomie und histologie Band II Herz und Gefasse.” F. Henke and O. Lubarsch, eds. Publisher, Julius Springer Berlin (1924).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Z. Movat, R. H. More and M. D. Haust, The diffuse intimai thickening of the human aorta with ageing, Amer. J. Pathol. 34: 1023 (1958).Google Scholar
- 7.H. C. Stary and J. P. Strong, Coronary artery fine structure in rhesus monkeys: non atherosclerotic intimai thickening, in: “Primates in Medicine”, Publisher, Karger Basel (1976).Google Scholar
- 11.D. Velican and C. Velican, Comparative study on age-related changes and atherosclerotic involvement of the coronary arteries of male and female subjects up to 40 years of age, 38: 39 (1981).Google Scholar
- 15.H. C. McGill, Jr., in: “The Geographical Pathology of Atherosclerosis”, H. C. McGill, ed., Publisher, Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, Maryland (1968).Google Scholar
- 18.H. C. McGill Jr. and J. P. Strong, The geographic pathology of atherosclerosis, Ann. New York Acad. of Sci. 149: 2 (1968).Google Scholar
- 19.J. P. Strong, C. Restrepo and M. A. Guzman, Coronary and aortic atherosclerosis in New Orleans, Lab. Invest. 39: 364 (1968).Google Scholar
- 20.J. P. Strong and M. A. Guzman, Decrease in coronary atherosclerosis in New Orleans, Lab. Invest. 43: 279 (1980).Google Scholar
- 21.C. C. Chidi and R. G. DePalma, Collagen formation by transformed smooth muscle cells after arterial injury, Surd. Gvnec. and Obstet,. 152: 8 (1981).Google Scholar
- 24.M. D. Haust, R. H. More and H. Z. Movat, The mechanism of fibrosis in arteriosclerosis Amer. J. Pathol. XXXV: 265 (1959).Google Scholar