Leukemogenesis by Bovine Leukemia Virus
Bovine leukemia virus (BLV) is a type C retrovirus which is the causative agent of a B cell lymphocytic leukemia horizontally transmitted in cattle (1, 2, 3). This virus was proven to be totally exogenous to its target animal as well as to sheep, goat, mouse, cat, chicken and man (4). It appears to be unrelated, as judged by nucleic acid hybridization and immunological properties, to any other retrovirus tested up to now. However, a slight relatedness between the amino terminal sequence of the major internal protein (p24) of BLV and the corresponding polypeptide (p30) of a murine type C virus has recently been uncovered (5). This suggests the existence of a remote common ancestor for both viruses.
KeywordsBovine Leukemia Virus Nucleic Acid Hybridization Target Animal Avian Leukosis Virus Cell Lymphocytic Leukemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Deschamps, J., R. Kettmann and A. Burny, 1981. Experiments using cloned coipplete tumor derived bovine leukemia virus information prove that the virus is totally exogenous to its target animal species. J. Virol., in press.Google Scholar
- 6.Erikson, R.L., 1980. Avian sarcoma viruses: molecular biology. In: “Viral oncology” ( Klein G., ed.) pp. 39–53. Raven Press, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- 7.Roussel, M., S. Saule, C. Lagrou, C. Rommens, H. Beug, T. Graf and D. Stehelin, 1979. Three new types of viral oncogene of cellular origin specific for haematopoietic cell transformation? Nature, 281.Google Scholar
- 8.Ghysdael, J., R. Kettmann and A. Burny, 1979. Translation of Bovine Leukemia Virus virion RNA in heterologous protein synthesizing systems. J. Virol., 29, 1087.Google Scholar
- 9.Hartley, J.W., N.K. Wolford, L.J. Old and W.P. Rowe, 1977. A new class of murine leukemia viruses associated with the development of spontaneous lymphomas. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 74, 789, 792.Google Scholar
- 10.Kettmann, R., Y. Cleuter, M. Mammerickx, M. Meunier-Rotival, G. Bernardi, A. Burny and H. Chantrenne, 1980. Genomic integration of bovine leukemia provirus: comparison of persistent lymphocytosis with lymph node tumor form of enzootic bovine leukosis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 77, 2577–2581.CrossRefGoogle Scholar