The Embryology of Birth Defects
The field of dysmorphology has expanded dramatically over the past ten years, a period during which not only the number of recognizable patterns of malformations has more than doubled, but great strides have been made in our understanding of the developmental pathology of structural defects. The benefit of this increased knowledge to children affected with birth defects and to their parents is immeasurable since appropriate recurrence risk counseling and information regarding prognosis are possible only in those situations where a definitive diagnosis can be made and/or the developmental pathology is understood.
KeywordsBranchial Arch Renal Agenesis Palatal Shelf Monozygotic Twin Pair Control Cell Death
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Johnston, M. C., 1975, Neural crest in abnormalities of the face and brain, in Morphogenesis and Malformation of Face and Brain, Birth Defects: Orig. Art. Series XI, No. 7, p. 6, Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Pagon, R. A., Smith, D. W. and Shepard, T. H., 1979, Urethral obstruction malformation complex: A cause of abdominal muscle deficiency and the “prune belly”, J. Pediatr. 95:900.Google Scholar
- 9.Smith, D. W., 1981, Recognizable Patterns of Human Deformation, p. 66, W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- 12.Smith, D. W., 1981, Recognizable Patterns of Human Deformation, p. 45, W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- 13.Higginbottom, M. C., Jones, K. L., and James, H. E., 1980, Intrauterine constraint and craniosynostosis, Neurosurgery 6:1980.Google Scholar
- 19.Benirschke, K., 1961, Twin placenta in perinatal mortality, N.Y. State J. Med. 61:1499.Google Scholar
- 22.Jung, J. H., Graham, J. M., Jr., Schuhs, N., et al., 1981, Vascular disruption associated with monozygotic twinning: A possible cause of congenital hydranencephaly/poren-cephaly, Clin. Res. 29:132A.Google Scholar
- 23.Lemire, R. J., Loeser, J. D., Leech, R. W., et al., 1975, Normal and Abnormal Development of the Human Nervous System, Harper and Row, Publishers.Google Scholar
- 24.Reismann, L. E., Pathak, 1966, Bilateral renal cortical necrosis in the newborn, Am. J. Dis. Child 111:541.Google Scholar
- 33.Padget, D. H., 1948, The development of the cranial arteries in the human embryo, Contrib. Embryol. Carnegie Inst. 32:207.Google Scholar