Nanosecond Pulse Breakdown of Gas Insulated Gaps
Over the last few decades there has been and continues to be an interest in elucidating those processes which have a major influence on the spatial-temporal development of the space charge in a gas insulated gap, leading to the collapse of the voltage applied across it. The various processes which must be considered have been discussed by Rees and by Dutton (this ASI). The gap parameters (i.e., pressure, p; applied external fields, EQ; gap dimensions, d; and gas type) and the time scales associated with the current growth serve in narrowing down the number of processes that need to be considered for any particular situation. There has been considerable controversy as to what processes play a role in the various regions of gap parameter space. A discussion of these issues has been given by Professor Llewellyn-Jones at this ASI.
KeywordsEmission Rate Formative Time Cathode Surface Incident Pulse Coaxial Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bychkov, Y. K., Korolev, Y. D., and Gavrilyuk, P. A., 1973, Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., 17:1337.Google Scholar
- Felsenthal, P. and Proud, J. M., 1965, Phys. Rev. A, 139:1796.Google Scholar
- Kremnev, V. V. and Mesyats, G. A., 1971, Prk. Mek. i Tek. Fiz., 1:40.Google Scholar
- Koppitz, J., 1971, Z. Naturforsch., 26a:700.Google Scholar
- Korshunov, G. S., Rudenko, N. S., and Tsvetkov, V. I., 1970, Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., 14:1074.Google Scholar
- Levinson, S. and Kunhardt, E. E., 1981, in: “Digest of Technical Papers, 3rd International Pulsed Power Conference, Albuquerque, NM,” T. Martin and A. Guenther, eds., p. 226.Google Scholar
- Loeb, L. B., 1939, “Fundamental Processes of Electrical Discharges in Gases,” Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Mesyats, G. A., Byrchkov, Y. I., and Isko’kskii, A. I., 1969, Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., 13:1051.Google Scholar
- Raether, H., 1964, “Electron Avalanches and Breakdown in Gases,” Butterworth, London.Google Scholar
- Stritzke, P., Sanders, I., and Raether, H., 1977, Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., 10:2285.Google Scholar
- Vorob’ev, V. V. and Iskol’dskii, A. M., 1967, Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., 11:1560.Google Scholar