Current Research Topics in Low-Pressure Glow Discharges in Rare Gases and in Pure Nitrogen
The present work reports some results of the research in progress concerning the positive column of glow discharges in pure rare gases and in pure nitrogen, at pressures typically below 1 torr and discusses some of the limitations of currently available models for predicting the discharge characteristics and for explaining the kinetics of some important excited atomic and molecular species, such as the metastable ones, in the positive column. The paper is divided into two main sections: the first devoted to the modeling of the positive column in Argon and the second, to the kinetics of the metastable state N2(A3∑+ U) in the positive column of a pure nitrogen glow discharge.
KeywordsGlow Discharge Excitation Cross Section Electron Distribution Function Positive Column Momentum Transfer Cross Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allis, W. P., 1956, Handb. Phys., 21:383.Google Scholar
- Klarfeld, B., 1941, J. Phys. USSR, 5:155.Google Scholar
- Klarfeld, B., 1937, Sov. Phys.-Tech. Phys., 4:44.Google Scholar
- Pesnelle, A., 1970, Thesis 3e Cycle, Univ. of Paris-Sud., Orsay.Google Scholar
- Schottky, W., 1924, Phys. Z., 25:635.Google Scholar