Porphyrin Localizing Phenomena
The use of the porphyrin product HPD1 for tumor localization (1,2) and therapy (2–5) has been described. One report on an analysis of HPD appeared in 1980 (6) and other such reports are contained in this book. In order to characterize the events leading to tumor localization by HPD, it will be necessary to delineate active components in the product, the nature of any porphyrin transformations associated with the localization process and loci of binding of localized fluorescent porphyrins within the tumor cell.
KeywordsL1210 Cell Complete Growth Medium Fresh Growth Medium Leukemia L1210 Cell Hydrophobic Contaminant
hematoporphyrin derivative [product of alkaline hydrolysis after acetylation]
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kato, H., Tahara, M., Hayashi, N., Iimura, I., Matsu-shima, Y., Saito, T., Ono, J., Konaka, C., Aida, M., Hayashi, T., Kawamura, I., and Hayata, Y. Basic studies of diagnosis and treatment of cancer by photoirradia-tion. Proc. Japanese Cancer Assn., 39: 312 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.Bonnett, R., Ridge, R.J., and Scourides, P. Hematopor-phyrin derivative. J. C. S. Comm., 1198–1199, 1980.Google Scholar
- 12.Jori, G., Reddi, E., Rossi, E., Cozzani, I., Tomio, L., Zorat, P.L., Pizzi, G.B., and Calzavara, F. Porphyrin-sensitized photoreactions and their use in cancer therapy. Med. Biol. Envior., 13: 141–154. 1980.Google Scholar
- 14.Kessel, D. Some observations on components of HPD and their tumor-localizing capacity. Cancer Res., In Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- 15.Jansons, V.K., Weis, P., Chen, T-H., and Redwood, W.R. In vitro interaction of L1210 cells with phospholipid vesicles. Cancer Res., 38: 531–535, 1978.Google Scholar
- 16.Clezy, P., Hai, T.T., Henderson, R.W., and Thuc, L.V. The chemistry of pyrrolic compounds XLV. Hematoporphyrin derivative: haematoporphyrin diacetate as the main product of the reaction of haematoporphyrin with a mixture of acetic and sulfuric acids. Aust. J. Chem.33: 585–597, 1980.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Tomio, L., Reddi, E., Jori, G., Zorat, P., Pizzi, G.B., and Calzavara, F. Hematoporphyrin as a sensitizer in tumor phototherapy: effect of medium polarity on the photosensitizing efficiency and role of the administration pathway on the distribution in normal and tumor-bearing rats. Springer Ser. Opt. Sci., 22: 76–82, 1980.Google Scholar
- 19.Moan, J., and Christensen, T. Cellular uptake and photodynamic effect of hematoporphyrin. Photobiochem. Photobiophys., 2: 291–299 (1981).Google Scholar