Closed loop control offers great potential for improving care and reducing health care costs. When used properly it can be a valuable asset greatly aiding in patient care by providing optimination and adjustment of patient therapy according to the patient’s needs. The physician is relieved of some of the mundane tasks which can be performed by closed loop controllers, but he is still in charge and must closely observe the behavior of these closed loop units and carefully select the patients on which they are applied.
KeywordsReduce Health Care Cost Negative Feedback Control Differential Lung Ventilation Mundane Task Insulin Infusion System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L.C. Sheppard and N.T. Kouchoukos, Automation of measurements and interventions in the systematic care of postoperative cardiac surgical patients, Med. Instrum. 11: 296–301, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.T.K. Brown, A Controller for automating vasoactive drug infusions to regulate hemodynamic variables, Proc. 28th ACEMB, Sept 1975, pp. 419.Google Scholar
- 5.W.W. Mapleson, R.T. Chilcoat, and J.N. Lunn, Computer assistance in the control of depth in anaesthesia, Br. J. Anaesth. 52: 234P, 1980.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Hilberman, J.P. Schill, and R.M. Peters, On line digital analysis of respiratory mechanics and the automation of respirator control, J. Thorac. Cardio. Surg 58: 821–828, 1969.Google Scholar
- 11.J.R. Coles, W.A. Brown, and D.G. Lampard, Computer Control of respiration and anaesthesia, Med. Biol. Eng., May 1973, pp. 262–267.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Demeester, P.H. Grevisse, and C.H. VanderVelde, Real time and interactive control of 02 CO2 transport in mechanically ventilated patients in ICU, Computers in Cardiology, IEEE, 1978, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 14.S.M. Collins and R.C. Arzbaecher, Computer control of cardiac arrhythmia, Computers in Cardiology, IEEE, 1979, pp. 276–279.Google Scholar
- 16.W.E. Moritz, J.S. Colocousis, P. McLain, and S. Barnes. Closed loop fluid resuscitation for burn patients using a microcrocessor, Proc. 30th ACEMB, November, 1977, p. 119.Google Scholar
- 18.T.D. East, D.R. Westenskow, N.N.L. Pace, and L.D. Nelson, Microcomputer based data acquisition and feedback control for differential lung ventilation, J. Crit. Care 9: 256, 1981.Google Scholar
- 19.D.R. Westenskow, R.J. Bowman, K.B. Ohlson, and D.B. Raemer, Microprocessors in intensive care medicine, Med. Instrum. 14: 311–313, 1980.Google Scholar