Effects of Leukotrienes C4 and D4, Cyclic AMP and Methylation Reactions on Arachidonic Acid Metabolism in Rat Peritoneal Macrophages
Ligand-receptor interaction in a number of biological systems, often involves release of arachidonic acid from membrane phospholipids. Understanding the physiological significance of this phenomenon should take into account the wide spectrum of biological activities which were ascribed to the various arachidonate metabolites.
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Arachidonic Acid Metabolism Arachidonic Acid Metabolite Methylation Reaction PGE2 Release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.S. Moncada and J. R. Vane, Pharmacology and endogenous roles of prostaglandin endoperoxides, thromboxane A2 and prostacyclin, Pharmacol. Rev., 30: 293 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.E. J. Goetzl, C. Derian, and F. H. Valone, The extracellular and intracellular roles of hydroxy eicosatetraenoic acids in the modulation of polymorphonuclear leukocyte and macrophage function, J. Reticulo Soc., 28: 105s (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.R. M. Schultz, N. A. Pavlidis, J. N. Stoychkov, and M. A. Chirigos, Prevention of macrophage tumoricidal activity by agents known to increase cellular cAMP, J. Immunol., 42: 71 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.R. M. Schultz, J. N. Stoychkov, N. Pavlidis, M. A. Chirigos, and Z. L. Olkowski, Role of E-type prostaglandins in the regulation of interferon-treated macrophage cytotoxic activity, J. Reticulo Soc., 26: 93 (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.M. A. Bray, Prostaglandins: fine tuning the immune system? Immunology Today, Sep.: 65 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.R. J. Bonney, S. Burger, P. Davies, F. A. Kuehl, and J. L. Humes, Prostaglandin E2 and prostacyclin elevate cyclic AMP in elicited populations of mouse peritoneal macrophages, Adv. Prostaglandin Thromboxane Res., 8: 1691 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.R. V. Panganamela, J. S. Miller, E. T. Gwebu, H. M. Sharma, and D. G. Cornwell, Differential inhibitory effects of vitamin E and other antioxidants on prostaglandin synthetase, platelet aggregation and lipoxydase, Prostaglandins, 14: 261 (1977).Google Scholar