Acute Arachidonate Toxicity
Since the discovery by Silver et al.  that injection of arachidonic acid into the marginal ear vein of the rabbit induced sudden death, this method has gained wide acceptance as a technique for in vivo study of antithrombotic agents acting via arachidonic acid metabolites. Typically, the agent being studied is used to pretreat experimental animals, and the incidence of death of pretreated animals following intravenous sodium arachidonate infusion is compared to the mortality of nonpretreated animals. The cause of death has been shown to be occlusive pulmonary platelet aggregation . Because this method is used to evaluate potential therapeutic agents, it is useful to consider the factors which regulate the mortality induced by arachidonate.
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Gonadal Steroid Gonadal Hormone Castrate Male Estradiol Benzoate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.J. C. Penhos, F. Rabbani, A. Myers, E. Ramey, and P. W. Ramwell, Relationship of the adrenal steroids to indomethacin-arachidonate interaction, Int. J. Tissue React., 2: 141 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.B. L. Bayer, K. E. Blass, and W. Forster, Anti-aggregatory effect of prostacyclin in vivo Br. J. Pharmac., 66: 10 (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.F. Seuter and W. D. Busse, Arachidonic acid induced mortality in animals-an appropriate model for the evaluation of anti-thrombotic drugs? Agents and Actions Suppl., 4: 175 (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.C. Kohler, W. Wooding, and L. Ellenbogen, Intravenous arachidonate in the mouse: a model for the evaluation of anti-thrombotic drugs, Thromb. Res., 9: 67 (1976).Google Scholar
- 14.A. L. Cerskus, M. Ali, J. Zamecnik, and J. W. D. McDonald, Effects of indomethacin on in vivo formation of thromboxane B2 and prostaglandin D2 during arachidonate infusion in rabbits, Thromb. Res., 12: 549 (1978).Google Scholar
- 15.A. Myers, F. Rabbani, J. C. Penhos, E. Ramey, and P. W. Ramwell, Protective effects of lidocaine, cyproterone-acetate and a thromboxane synthetase inhibitor against arachidonate induced mortality, Fed. Proc. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol., 40: 662 (1981).Google Scholar