Differentiation of Shoot Buds in Hypocotyl Explants and Callus Cultures of Some Legumes
The ability of cultured cells to produce fertile plants under controlled conditions is of special significance in relation to agriculture and forestry. However, differentiation in callus and cell cultures of legumes has proved difficult. Limited success has been achieved in regenerating shoot buds in callus and organ explants of a few species like Medicago sativa (1, 2), Phaseolus vulgaris (3), Dalbergia sissoo (4), Cajanus cajan (5), Arachis hypogea (6), and Lathyrus sativus (7). In the present communication, our findings on hypocotyl and callus cultures of two tree legumes, Albizia lebbek and Dalbergia sissoo, and one pulse crop legume, Vigna aconitifolius, are presented.
KeywordsCallus Culture Indole Acetic Acid Mercuric Chloride Naphthalene Acetic Acid Fertile Plant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.W. Saunders and E.T. Bingham, Growth regulator effects on bud initiation in callus cultures of Medicago sativa, Crop Sci. 62:850 (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.O.J. Crocomo, W.R. Sharp and J.E. Peters, Plantlet morphogenesis and the control of callus growth and root induction of Phaseolus vulgaris with the addition of a bean seed extract, Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 78:456–460 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Mukhopadhyay and H.Y. Mohan Ram, Regeneration of plantlets from excised roots of Dalbergia sissoo, Indian J. Exp. Biol. 19:1113–1115 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.U. Mehta and H.Y. Mohan Ram, Regeneration of plantlets from the cotyledons of Cajanus cajan, Indian J. Exp. Biol. 18:800–802 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.Y.P.S. Bajaj, P. Kumar, K.S. Labane and M.M. Singh, Regeneration of plants from seedling expiants and callus cultures of Arachis hypogaea, Indian J. Exp. Biol. 19:1026–1029 (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Mukhopadhyay, H.Y. Mohan Ram and S.S. Bhojwani, Tissue cultures of Lathyrus sativus, in: “Symp. Plant Tissue culture, Genetic Manipulation and Somatic Hybridization of Plant Cells,” P.S. Rao, M.R. Heble and M.S. Chadha, eds., Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bombay (1980).Google Scholar