Immunotherapy for Renal Carcinoma
Adenocarcinoma of the kidney may be uniquely suited for attempts at immunotherapy. The natural history of this neoplasm is unusual because these patients may have long periods of time between excision of the primary tumor and development of metastases. We have observed patients in whom the primary tumor existed for 15 to 20 years before treatment was initiated. Following removal of the primary tumor, metastases rapidly appeared. Temporary regression of metastases and long term stabilization of tumors has been described. These findings suggest the presence of immune response which is able to control the development of the tumor.
KeywordsMetastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Renal Carcinoma Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma Specific Immunotherapy Autologous Tumor Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.B. DeKernion, Y. Katsuoka and K.P. Ramming, Immunology of Human Renal Adenocarcinoma, UICC Technical Report Series 49:96, (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.R.M. Bukowski, C. Groppe, R. Reimer, J. Weick and J.S. Hewlett, Immunotherapy (IT) of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma, Proc. Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res. of Amer. Soc. of Clin. Oncol. 20:402 (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.D.V. Schapira, C.S. McCune and E.C. Henshaw, Treatment of Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma with Specific Immunotherapy Consisting of Autologous Tumor Cells and C. Parvum, Proc. Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res. of Amer. Soc. of Clin. Oncol. 20:348 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Brosman, Non-Specific Immunotherapy in GU Cancer, Proc. Chic. Symp. Plubl., Franklin Inst. Press., Chic. (1977) p. 97.Google Scholar
- 13.J.P. Minton, K. Pennline, J.F. Nowrocki et al, Immunotherapy of Human Kidney Cancer, Proc. Am. Soc. Clin. Oncol. 17:301 (1976)Google Scholar
- 16.G.L. Bartlett and B. Zbar, Tumor-Specific Vaccine Containing Mycobacterium Bovis and Tumor Cells: Safety and Efficacy, J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 48:170 (1972).Google Scholar
- 18.R.L. Tuttle and R.J. North, Mechanisms of Antitumor Action of Corynebacterium Parvum: The Generation of Cell-Mediated Tumor Specific Immunity, J. Reticulothelial Soc. 20:197 (1976).Google Scholar
- 19.C.S. McCune, D.V. Schapira and E.C. Henshaw, Specific Immunotherapy of Advanced Renal Carcinoma, Cancer 47:1984 (1981).Google Scholar
- 20.G.L. Brown, P.C. Peters, M.D. Prager and S. Baechtel, Specific Immunotherapy of Metastatic Human Renal Cell Carcinoma, Presented at Amer. Urol. Assoc. Annual Meeting, Boston, Mass, (1981).Google Scholar