Chemotherapy of Prostate Cancer: The National Prostatic Cancer Project Experience
Since 1972 the Treatment Subgroup of the National Prostatic Cancer Project has accessioned 1748 patients with various stages of prostatic cancer to 13 different treatment protocols. Seven of these protocols have been closed and the results in the initial studies have been published. Six protocols are active and continue to accrue patients. Principal investigators have a prominent role in protocol design as well as in the evaluation and publication of data emanating from these protocols. Active agents identified to date include cyclophosphamide, 5-fluorouracil, methyl-CCNU, imidazole-carboxamide, estramustine phosphate and streptozotocin. Agents chosen for their presumed activity, but currently under investigation, include methotrexate and cis-platinum.
KeywordsDivided Dose Estramustine Phosphate Clinical Trial Program ATIC Cancer Treatment Subgroup
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G.P. Murphy, R.P. Gibbons, D.E. Johnson, S.A. Loening, G.R. Prout, J.D. Schmidt, D.S. Bross, T.M. Chu, J.F. Gaeta, J. Saroff, and W.W. Scott, A comparison of estramustine phosphate and streptozotocin in patients with advanced prostatic carcinoma who have had extensive irradiation, J. Urol 118:288 (1977).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.J.D. Schmidt, W.W. Scott, R.P. Gibbons, D.E. Johnson, G.R. Prout, Jr., S.A. Loening, M.S. Soloway, T.M. Chu, J.F. Gaeta, N.H. Slack, J. Saroff, and G.P. Murphy, Comparison of procarbazine, imidazole-carboxamide and cyclophosphamide in relapsing patients with advanced carcinoma of the prostate, J. Urol. 121:185 (1979).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.S.A. Loening, J.B. deKernion, R.P. Gibbons, D.E. Johnson, J.E. Pontes, G.R. Prout, Jr., J.D. Schmidt, W.W. Scott, M.S. Soloway, N.H. Slack, and G.P. Murphy, A comparison of hydroxyurea, methyl-CCNU and cyclophosphamide in patients with advanced carcinoma of the prostate, J. Urol. In Press.Google Scholar
- 5.G.P. Murphy, R.P. Gibbons, D.E. Johnson, G.R. Prout, J.D. Schmidt, M.S. Soloway, S.A. Loening, T.M Chu, J.F. Gaeta, J. Saroff, Z. Wajsman, N. Slack, and W.W. Scott, The use of estramustine and prednimustine versus prednimustine alone in advanced metastatic prostatic cancer patients who have received prior irradiation, J. Urol, 121:763 (1979).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.M.S. Soloway, J.B. deKernion, R.P. Gibbons, D.E. Johnson, S. Loening, J.E. Pontes, G.R. Prout, J.D. Schmidt, W.W. Scott, N.H. Slack, and G.P. Murphy, Comparison of Estracyt and vincristine alone or in combination for patients with advanced hormone-refractory, previously irradiated carcinoma of the prostate, J. Urol. In Press.Google Scholar