Ion Beam Analysis of Near Surface Regions
The ion-atom collision is used as a tool to investigate solid surfaces1–5 . Composition and its depth dependence can be determined up to a thickness of about 1 pro with a resolution of the order of 0.01 μm using Rutherford backscattering (RBS) technique. The reduction of the yield due to the alignment of a low index axis of a single crystal target with the analyzing beam direction 1,6) can be used to determine the presence of defects, their natu re and amount. Other effects of the ion-atom collision1,5 as the emission of characteristics X-ray or of the product of a nuclear reaction, are used for analytical purposes too.
KeywordsEnergy Width Rutherford Backscattering Stop Cross Section Angular Profile Thin Film Bilayer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.W.Mayer and E.Rimini (editors): Ion Beam Handbook for Material Analysis (Academic Press, N.Y. 1977)Google Scholar
- 2.J.F.Ziegler (editor): New Uses of Ion Accelerators (Plenum Press, N.Y.1975)Google Scholar
- 3.O.Meyer,G.Linker and F.Kappler (editors): Ion Beam Surface Layer Analysis (Plenum Press,N.Y.1976)Google Scholar
- 4.S.T.Picraux,E.P.EerNisse and F.L.Vook (editors): Application of Ion Beams to Metals (Plenum Press,N.Y.1974)Google Scholar
- 5.S.U.Campisano, Le Scienze 143,76(1980)Google Scholar
- 6.E.Rimini: Analysis of defects by channeling, in Material Characterization Using Ion Beams ed. by J.P.Thomas and A. Cachard,(Plenum Press,N.Y.1978)Google Scholar
- 10.S.T.Picraux,E.Rimini,G.Foti and S.U.Campisano; Phys.Rev.Bl8,2078(1978)Google Scholar
- 11.. G.Foti,L.Csepregi,E.Kennedy,J.W.Mayer,P.Pronko and M.D.Retchin; Phil.Mag. A37,591(1978)Google Scholar
- 13.J.A.Davies, in The Structure of Nuclei ed. by I.A.E.A. Vienna (1972)p.457Google Scholar
- 14.S,U.Campisano,E.Rimini,P.Baeri and G.Foti; Appl.Phys.Lett ,51,2680(1980)Google Scholar
- 16.P.Baeri,G.Foti,J.M.Poate and A.G.Cullis; Proc. of Laser and Electron Beam Solid Interactions and Materials Processing Material Research Society Boston, Nov.1980. (to be published)Google Scholar