Effects of Precompression on the Surface Toughness of WC-5% Co
During the 1960’s and early 1970’s several papers were published describing changes in the properties of WC-Co alloys resulting from prior compressive loading. The studies most relevant to the present work are those which describe the effects of: (a) plastic strains of up to 0.5% in WC-6% Co on resistivity, coercivity, bending strength and yield stress, by Ivensen and co-workers1; (b) plastic strains, in uniaxial compression, of up to 1% in WC-5.9% Co on hardness, coercivity and h.c.p./f.c.c. cobalt ratio, by Hara and Ikeda2; (c) plastic strains of more than 10% under non uniform triaxial compressive stress on resistivity, hardness, coercivity and compressive strength, by Pelepelin3; (d) uniaxial compression applied to WC-6% Co on the residual tensile stress in the cobalt, by Tumanov and co-workers4.
KeywordsCrack Length Residual Compressive Stress Crack Resistance Intergranular Crack Horizontal Crack
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V.A. Ivensen, V.A. Chistyakova and O.N. Eiduk, Changes in the properties of WC-Co hard alloys during deformation, Poroshk. Met. 129: 39 (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.A. Hara and T. Ikeda, Behaviour of compressive deformation of WC-Co cemented carbide, Trans.Jap.Inst. Met. 13:128 (1972).Google Scholar
- 3.V.M. Pelepelin, Effect of plastic deformation on the physicomechanical properties of WC-Co alloys, Poroshk.Met. 35: 933 (1965).Google Scholar
- 4.V.I. Tumanov, A.A. Cheredinov and K.F. Kuznetsova, Magnetic investigation of microstress in hard alloys, Poroshk.Met. 165: 710 (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.H.E. Exner and J. Gurland, The effect of small plastic deformations on the strength and hardness of a WC-Co alloy, J. Mater. 5: 75 (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Coster, Etude du grossissement des grains et du comportement sous fortes pressions de composites WC-Co, Thèses, Université de Caen (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.H.E. Exner, The influence of sample preparation on Palmqvist’s method for toughness testing of cemented carbides, Trans. AIME 245: 677 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.R.K. Viswanadham and J.D. Venables, A simple method for evaluating cemented carbides, Metall. Trans. 8A:187 (1977).Google Scholar