Mechanical Behavior and Electron Microscopy Analysis of W2C
Up to now, a relatively large number of studies has been made on the mechanical behavior of transition metal carbides with the face centered cubic structure (NaCl type). A summary of studies on plasticity until 1970, has been made by Toth.1 Since then, only tantalum carbide and titanium carbide have been the subject of new works, by Martin2 and Chermant.3 In contrast, plastic deformation of hexagonal carbides has been investigated very little. Some studies on the mechanical behavior or microstructure of WC and Mo2C have been reported.4–11Therefore it appears to us of major interest to undertake a study of plastic deformation of W2C at high temperatures (between 800° and 2200°C). In the present study, electron microscope observations (100 KV and 1 MeV) and results of mechanical deformation tests are associated so as to determine the process responsible for the plastic deformation of W2C.
KeywordsTitanium Carbide Relaxation Test Cross Slip Tantalum Carbide Glycol Monoethylether
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. E. Toth, Transition Metal Carbides and Nitrides, Academic Press, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- 2.J. L. Martin, These Universite de Paris Nord, 1972.Google Scholar
- 3.J. L. Chermant, Rapport Scientifique A.T.P., in “Rupture et Fluage,” contract IS04, n° 1791, Octobre 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.D. J. Rowcliffe, Ph.D. Thesis, Cambridge (1965).Google Scholar
- 11.J. Dubois, G. Orange, C. Mai, G. Fantozzi, C.R.Acad. Sci. Parist. 287, Series B.:53 (1978).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Dubois, G. Fantozzi, P. F. Gobin, Rapport Scientifique A. T.P. “Rupture et Fluage,” contrat IS04 n° 1791 (1977).Google Scholar
- 14.G. Orange, J. Dubois, G. Fantozzi, P. F. Gobin, Journees d’Automne, Octobre 1979.Google Scholar
- 15.D Treheux, J. Dubois, G. Fantozzi, Ceramurgia Inter. to be published.Google Scholar
- 18.T. Epicier, C. Esnouf, J. Dubois, G. Fantozzi, submitted to Scripta Met.Google Scholar
- 21.D. Hull, Introduction to Dislocations Pergamon Press, London, 1968.Google Scholar