Suicide, a tragic consequence of physician impairment, looms in its seriousness because of its finality. In addition to the personal loss, it denies society of the contributions of one of its highly trained and needed members. Disturbing to lay persons and professionals alike is the realization that physicians, revered as caretakers of others, can care so little for themselves. This chapter contains a description of the scope of physician suicide, an outline of some of the special problems which are pertinent and some suggestions for management.
KeywordsSuicide Rate Female Physician Suicidal Patient Male Physician Tragic Consequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Suicide among doctors, editorial: Br Med J 1:789–790, 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.De Sole DE, Singer P, Aronson S: Suicide and role strain among physicians. Am J Psychiat 15:294, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Suicides of physicians and the reasons, editorial: JAMA 41:263–264, 1903.Google Scholar
- 9.Knopf SA: Suicide among American physicians. N Y State Med J 117:84–87, 1923.Google Scholar
- 14.Bergman J: The suicide rate among psychiatrists revisited. J Suicide Life Threat Behav 9:219–226, 1979.Google Scholar
- 15.Steindler EM: Suicide in the Medical Profession: What the Research Does and Doesn’t Show. Paper presented at the Mini-Conference on Physician Impairment, AMA Student Assoc. Annual Meeting, Houston, March 1981.Google Scholar
- 23.Zuk GH, Miller JB, Champagne EM, et al: Affective disorders and suicide in women physicians: Other views. Am J Psychiat 136:1604–1608, 1979.Google Scholar
- 26.Rich CL, Pitts FN: Suicide by psychiatrists: A study of medical specialists among 18,730 consecutive physician deaths during a 5 year period (1967–1972). J Clin Psychiat 41:261–263, 1980.Google Scholar
- 27.Shneidman FS: Suicide, in Freedman AM, Kaplan HT, Sadock BJ, (eds): Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry II. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Publishers, 1975, pp 1774–1785.Google Scholar
- 29.Rockwell DA: Suicide in physicians. Western J Med 122:419–420, 1975.Google Scholar
- 32.Chiles JA: Patient reactions to the suicide of a therapist. Am J Psychiat 28:115–121, 1974.Google Scholar