Model of Low-Reynolds-Number Wall Turbulence for Equilibrium Layers
A one-equation turbulence model simulating the wall region is applied to study the equilibrium boundary layers. In these layers a universal mixing-length distribution can be assumed, as shown in the experiments of East and Sawyer. Particular emphasis is placed on representing accurately the turbulence-energy balance in the viscous and buffer regions, where an explicit model of the pressure-work term is shown to be necessary. Comparisons with experimental results of the mean quantities in the near-wall region are presented. Analysis of the turbulence-energy balance shows a behavior in qualitative agreement with that described by Shubauer. The same initial conditions have been assumed for the whole range of favorable and adverse pressure gradients considered. The free-stream pressure gradient influences the mean quantities and the turbulence-energy balance in a manner that is in agreement with experiment.
KeywordsBoundary Layer Reynolds Stress Turbulent Boundary Layer Turbulent Diffusion Turbulent Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Rotta, On the Theory of the Turbulent Boundary Layer, NACA TM 1344 (1950).Google Scholar
- 2.F. H. Clauser, Turbulent boundary layers in adverse pressure gradients, J. Aero. Sci. 21, 91–108 (1954).Google Scholar
- 8.L. F. East and W. G. Sawyer, An Investigation of the Structure of Equilibrium Turbulent Boundary Layers, AGARD CP 271 (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.P. S. Klebanoff, Characteristics of Turbulence in a Boundary Layer with Zero Pressure Gradient, NACA Report 1247 (1955).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Laufer, The Structure of Turbulence in Fully-Developed Pipe Flow, NACA TN 2954 (1953).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Moin, W. C. Reynolds, and J. H. Ferziger, Large Eddy Simulation of Incompressible Channel Flow, Report No. TF-12, Mechanical Engineering Department, Stanford University (1978).Google Scholar
- 14.H. L. Norris and W. C. Reynolds, Turbulent Channel Flow with a Moving Wavy Boundary, Report No. TF-7, Mechanical Engineering Department, Stanford University (1975).Google Scholar
- 17.G. M. Lilley, A review of pressure fluctuations in turbulent boundary layers at subsonic and supersonic speeds, Arch. Mech. Stos. 16, 301–330 (1964).Google Scholar
- 19.P. Orlandi and W. C. Reynolds, A provisional model for unsteady turbulent boundary layers (in press).Google Scholar
- 20.K. Wieghardt, in: Proceedings of the Conference on Computation of Turbulent Boundary Layers (D. E. Coles and E. A. Hirst, eds.), Vol. 2, pp. 98-124, AFOSR-IFP-Stanford Conference (1968).Google Scholar
- 21.P. Orlandi and J. H. Ferziger, Implicit non-iterative schemes for unsteady boundary layers (in press).Google Scholar