Techniques for Using HAT Selection in Somatic Cell Genetics
Somatic cell hydridization provides a unique system to analyze gene interactions between somatic cells through the formation of hybrids in intraspecific or interspecific crosses. With the development of conditional genetic markers, many phenotypic changes in cell hybrids, either permanent or transient, can be monitored in a quantitative fashion. Spontaneous fusions of cells are always infrequent and hybrids generated from such fusions are usually hard to identify. Improved fusion techniques and selection systems for cell hybrids in the past decade have circumvented many of the above difficulties.
KeywordsThymidine Kinase Cell Hybrid Mouse Mammary Tumor Virus Diphtheria Toxin Somatic Cell Hybrid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adelberg, E. A., Callahan, T., Slayman, C. W., and Hoffman, J. F., 1975, Ouabain-resistant mutants of mouse and human lymphocytes, J. Gen. Physiol. 66:17a.Google Scholar
- Chu, E. H. Y., and Powell, S. S., 1976, Selective systems in somatic cell genetics, in: Advances in Human Genetics, Volume 7 (H. Harris and K. Kirschhorn, eds.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 189–258.Google Scholar
- Clements, G. B., 1975, Selection of biochemically variant cells in culture, in: Advances in Cancer Research, Volume 21 (G. Klein and S. Weinhouse, eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 273–390.Google Scholar
- Lester, S. C., Levain, S. K., Steglich, C., and DeMars, R., 1980, Expressions of human genes for adenine phosphoribosyltransferase and hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase after genetic transformation of mouse cells with purified human DNA, Somat. Cell Genet. 6:241–260.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liskay, R. M., and Patterson, D., 1978, Selection of somatic cell hybrids between HGPRT- and APRT- cells, in: Methods in Cell Biology, Volume XX (D. M. Prescott, ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 335–360.Google Scholar
- Pellicer, A., Wagner, E. F., Kareh, A. E., Dewey, M. J., Renser, A. J., Silverstein, S., Axel, R., and Mintz, B., 1980, Introduction of a viral thymidine kinase gene and the human β-globin gene into developmentally multipotential mouse teratocarcinoma cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 77:2098–2102.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ruddle, F. H., 1972, Linkage analysis using somatic cell hybrids, in: Advances in Human Genetics, Volume 3 (H. Harris and K. Hirschhorn, eds.) Plenum Press, New York, pp. 173–235.Google Scholar
- Siniscalco, M., Klinger, H. P., Eagle, H., Koprowski, H., Fujimoto, W. Y., and Seegmiller, J. E., 1969, Evidence for intergenic complementation in hybrid cells derived from two human diploid strains each carrying an X-linked mutation, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 62:793–799.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Szybalski, W., Szybalska, E. H., and Ragni, G., 1962, Genetic studies with human cell lines, Natl. Cancer Inst. Monogr. 7:75–89.Google Scholar
- Werkheiser, W. C., 1961, Specific binding of 4-amino folic acid analogues by folic acid reductase, J. Biol. Chem. 236:888–893.Google Scholar