Shedding of Tumor Cell Surface Membranes
Various antigenic determinants of the cell surface membrane not only have been shown to be modulated in the plane of the cell surface by various physiologic and experimental conditions (Nowotny et al., 1974; Poskitt et al., 1976; Raz et al., 1978; Van Blitterswijk et al., 1979), but have also been transferred to recipient cells by membrane vesicle-cell hybridization techniques (Poste and Nicolson, 1980; Volsky et al., 1981). These lines of evidence have provided the necessary impetus for the development of methods for the procurement of cell surface membranes without cell disruption or the use of drugs that may alter their biologic properties.
KeywordsMembrane Vesicle P815 Cell Deuterium Oxide Cell Surface Membrane Cell Size Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boyse, E. A., Old, L.J., and Stockert, E., 1965, The TL (Thymus leukemia) antigen: A review, in: Immunopathology, 4th Int. Symp. Monte Carlo (P. Grabar and P. A. Miescher, eds.), pp. 23–40, Grune and Stratton, Inc. N.Y.Google Scholar
- Dedman, J. R., Brinkley, B. R., and Means, A. R., 1979, Regulation of microfilaments and microtubules by calcium and cyclic AMP, in: Advances in Cyclic Nucleotide Research, Volume II (P. Greengard and G. A. Robison, eds.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 131–174.Google Scholar
- Godman, G. C., and Miranda, A. F., 1978, Cellular contractibility and the visible effects of cytochalasin, in: Cytochalasins — Biochemical and Cell Biological Aspects, North-Holland Research Monographs: Frontiers of Biology, Volume 46 (S. W. Tanenbaum, ed.), Elsevier/ North-Holland Biomedical Press, New York, pp. 278–429.Google Scholar
- Hoerl, B. J., and Scott, R. E., 1978, Plasma membrane vesiculation: A cellular response to injury, Virchows Arch. B Cell Path. 27:335–345.Google Scholar
- Katz, J. J., and Crespi, H. L., 1970, Isotope effects in biological systems, in: Isotope Effects in Chemical Reactions, ACS Monograph 167 (C. J. Collins and N. S. Bowman, eds.), Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, pp. 266–363.Google Scholar
- Poskitt, P. K. F., Poskitt, T. R., and Wallace, J. H., 1976, Release into culture medium of membrane-associated, tumor-specific antigen by B-16 melanoma cells (39332), Proc. R. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 152:76–80.Google Scholar
- Trump, B. F., Berezesky, J. K., Laiho, K. U., Osormio, A. R., Mergner, W. J., and Smith, M. W., 1980, The role of calcium in cell injury. A review, in: Scanning Electron Microscopy II, SEM Inc., AMF O’Hare (Chicago), Illinois, pp. 437–462.Google Scholar