Thermal Conductivity of Helium-Xenon, Argon-Xenon and Krypton-Xenon at Low Temperatures (170–273 K)
The thermal conductivity data for mixtures of noble gases are non-existent at temperatures below 273 K and therefore we have started a program to measure the same in the temperature range of 90–273 K. Here we report the data for the binary gas mixtures of helium-xenon, argon-xenon and krypton-xenon at temperatures between 170–273 K. The measurements are taken in a hot-wire cell at a pressure of 0.1013 MPa where the boiling point of xenon is 165 K. The experimental data for each system and referring to a fixed composition is expressed by a cubic polynomial in temperature. The experimental uncertainties are estimated to be between 0.6 to 1%.The experimental data are compared with the kinetic theory predictions in conjunction with the Lennard-Jones (12–6) and modified Buckingham exponential-six potentials. The Sutherland-Wassiljewa semi-empirical form is also examined with the scheme of Mason and Saxena to evaluate its coefficients.
KeywordsThermal Conductivity Thermal Conductivity Data Fixed Composition Thermal Diffusion Factor Semiempirical Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Touloukian, Y.S., Liley, P.E. and Saxena, S.C., Thermal Conductivity: Nonmetallic Liquids and Gases, Thermophysical Properties of Matter, Vol. 3, IFI/Plenum, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- Shashkov, A.G., Marchenkov, E.I., Aleinikova, V.I., Afshar, R., Joshi, R.K. and Saxena, S.C., Proc. 15th Int. Conf. Thermal Conductivity (Ed. V.V. Mirkovich), 223–234, 1978, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Shashkov, A.G. and Abramenko, T.N., Thermal Conductivity of Gas Mixtures, Energiya, Moscow, 1970.Google Scholar
- Leckenby, R.E. and Robbins, E.J., Proc. Roy. Soc., A291, 389–412, 1966.Google Scholar
- Stogryn, D.E. and Hirschfelder, J.0., J. Chem. Phys., 31, 1531–1545, 1959.Google Scholar
- Henkes, W., Z. Naturf., 17A, 786–789, 1962.Google Scholar
- Von Ubisch, H.Arkiv Fysik, 16, 93–100, 1959.Google Scholar
- Saxena, S.C., Indian J.Phys., 31, 597–606, 1957.Google Scholar
- Mathur, S., Tondon, P.K. and Saxena, S.C., Mol.Phys., 12, 569–570, 1967.Google Scholar
- Nain, V.P.S., Aziz, R.A., Jain, P.C. and Saxena, S.C., J.Chem.Phys., 65, 3242–3249, 1976.Google Scholar