A model for the effective local thermal conductance of frost is developed that includes both sensible and latent heat effects. The model contains several constants that are evaluated from data of Shah given in the literature. The results are shown as a function of density with local temperature as the parameter. Then, an average affective thermal conductance for the Shah experiment is obtained by integrating the local conductance over the range of temperatures in his experiment. This prediction is subsequently compared with several sets of data from the literature.
KeywordsEffective Thermal Conductance Vapor Diffusion Refrigeration System Latent Heat Release Heat Flux Sensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Brazinsky, “Properties of Water Frost Formed at Cryogenic Temperatures”, Sc.D. Thesis, M.I.T., Cambridge (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.W. T. Shah, “Theory of Frost Formation”, Sc. D. Thesis, M.I.T., Cambridge (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.J. E. White, “Heat and Mass Transfer in Thick Frost Layers”, Ph.D. Thesis, U. of Ky., Lexington (1972)Google Scholar
- 6.J. D. Yonko and C. F. Sepsy, An Investigation of the Thermal Conductivity of Frost While Forming on a Flat Horizontal Plate, ASHRAE Trans., 73(II):I.l.l (1967).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Hayashi, K. Aoki, and H. Yuhara, Study of Frost Formation Based on a Theoretical Model of the Frost Layer, Heat Trans. Jap. Res., 6:79 (1977.Google Scholar
- 8.O. Tajima, H. Yamada, Y. Kobayashi and C. Mizutani, Frost Formation on Air Coolers Part I: Natural Convection for a Cooled Plate Facing Upward, Heat Trans. Jap. Res., 1:39 (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Dietenberger, P. Kumar and J. Luers, Frost Formation on an Air Foil: A Mathematical Model, NASA CR3129, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, D.C. (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.P.L.T. Brian, R. C. Reid and I. Brazinsky, Cryogenic Frost Properties, Cryo. Tech. 5:205 (1969).Google Scholar
- 12.N. Yamakawa, N. Takahashi and S. Ohtani, Forced Convection Heat and Mass Transfer under Frost Conditions, Heat Trans. Jap. Res., 1:1 (1972).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Goodman and L. A. Kennedy, Thermal Conductivity of Frost Formed Under Conditions of Natural Convection, in “Adv. Thermal Conductivity”, R. Reisbig and H. Sauer, ed., U. of Missouri Press, Rolla (1974).Google Scholar