The Wiedemann-Franz Ratio of Liquid Metals
It has been mentioned on a number of occasions that the available thermal conductivity data for liquid metals are not accurate. Recently, G. Busch and his colleagues have made a series of thermal conductivity measurements for which an unusually high accuracy is claimed. Their results appear to be universally accepted. We take exception to some of their basic assumptions, and show that in the absence of a detailed analysis of their method, their results are provisionary at best.
We suggest that to reduce the present uncertainty in the data for the thermal conductivity of liquid metals, some elements be adopted as reference materials, and give some criteria for the selection of such metals.
We report on some new thermal conductivity measurements on Hg, one of the elements we propose as reference materials.
KeywordsThermal Conductivity Liquid Metal Rayleigh Number Thermal Conductivity Measurement Electrical Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G. Busch, H.-J. Guntherodt, W. Haller and P. Wyssmann, Proc. Sixth Symposium on Thermophysical Properties (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.W. Haller, H.-J. Guntherodt and G. Busch, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 30, Chapter 1, Part 2 (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.D.R. Flynn, Measurement of thermal conductivity by steady-state methods in which the sample is heated directly by passage of an electric current, in “Thermal Conductivity,” R.P. Tye, ed. (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.C.Y. Ho, R.W. Powell and P.L. Liley, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data 3: 1 (Suppl. 1) (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.H. Ziebland, Experimental determinations of the thermal conductivity of fluids, in “Thermal Conductivity,” R.P. Tye, ed. (1969).Google Scholar
- 11.J.S. Turner, Buoyancy Effects in Fluids, Cambridge University Press (1973).Google Scholar
- 13.M.J. Duggin, Proc. Eighth Thermal Conductivity Conference, C.Y. Ho, R.E. Taylor, eds., Plenum Press (1968).Google Scholar
- 17.Liquid Metals Handbook, R.N. Lyon, ed., Atomic Energy Commission (1952).Google Scholar
- 19.A.S. Marwaha and N.E. Cusack, Phys. Lett. 22: 556 (1965).Google Scholar
- 21.Gmelin Handbuch der Anorganischen Chemie, 8(34A):428 (1960).Google Scholar
- 23.R.W. Powell and R.P. Tye, Int. Develop. Heat Transfer, Proc. Heat Transfer Conf. I, P. 856 (1961).Google Scholar
- 24.A.A. Aivazov, B.P. Smirnov and R.P. Yurchak, Teplofizika Vysokikh Temperatur 15: 515 (1977).Google Scholar
- 25.Y.S. Touloukian, R.W. Powell, C.Y. Ho and P.G. Klemens, Thermal Conductivity, Vol. 2, Nonmetallic Solids, IFI/Plenum, New York, N.Y. (1970).Google Scholar