Thermal Diffusivity of HNS High Explosive
This paper reports results of a study in which the variances of thermal diffusivity and conductivity of HNS high explosive with temperature, fabrication compaction pressure, sample source, and thermal cycling were measured. The technique used was a modified flash method in which the unknown sample is sandwiched between two layers of known properties with the appropriate analysis used for data reduction.
KeywordsThermal Conductivity Thermal Diffusivity High Explosive Graphite Disk Lawrence Livermore Laboratory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. J. Lee and R. E. Taylor, “Determinations of Thermophysical Properties of Layered Composites by Flash Method,” in Thermal Conductivity 14, Storrs, CT, pp. 423–34 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.R. E. Taylor, Y.T.R. Lee, and A. B. Donaldson, “Thermal Diffusivity of Layered Composites,” in Thermal Conductivity 15, pp. 135–48, V. V. Mirkovish, ed., Plenum Publishing Corp., NY, (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.K. B. Larson and K. Koyama, “Measurement of Thermal Diffusivity, Heat Capacity and Thermal Conductivity in Two-Layer Composite Samples by the Flash Method,” in Proc. 5th Thermal Conductivity Conf., pp. 1-B-1 through 1-B-24 (1965).Google Scholar
- 4.R. E. Taylor and H. Groot, “Thermal Properties of Titanium Hydride-Potassium Perchlorate Mixtures,” PRL 118, Purdue University Research Lab, Lafayette, IN (July 1976).Google Scholar
- 5.R. H. Cornell and G. L. Johnson, “Measuring Thermal Diffusivities of High Explosives by the Flash Technique,” UCRL-52565, Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, Livermore, CA (October 1978).Google Scholar
- 6.A. B. Donaldson and B. D. Faubion, “Thermal Diffusivity Measurement of Temperature Sensitive Materials by an Extended Pulse Technique,” Thermal Conductivity 15, V. V. Mirkovich, ed., pp. 469–76, Plenum Press, NY (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.R. E. Taylor, “Heat-Pulse Thermal Diffusivity Measurements,” High Temperatures–High Pressures, 11, 43–58 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.B. D. Faubion, “Thermal Conductivity of HNS,” MJSMP-76–16, Mason & Hangar-Silas Mason Co., Inc., Amarillo, NM (March 1976).Google Scholar
- 9.R. W. Powell, “Thermal Conductivity Determination by Thermal Comparator Method,” Thermal Conductivity 2, Chapter 6, pp. 275338, R. P. Tye, ed., Academic Press, London & NY (1969).Google Scholar