This report represents a continuation of earlier investigations on the thermal conductivity of pure, neutron damaged, and additively colored MgO.1,2 Basically the current study is designed to relate quite generally the temperature dependence of the thermal conductivity to the type and density of the defects produced by a particular type of damage in MgO. In this work we also correlate the occurrence of F and F+ centers, as well as other defect centers, with the optical3 and ESR4 work that has previously been reported.
KeywordsThermal Conductivity Mass Defect Alkaline Earth Oxide Thermal Conductivity Data Geometrical Scattering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. A. Kappers and E. B. Hensley, Phys. Rev. B7, 2475 (1972);Google Scholar
- B. Henderson and J. E. Wertz, “Defects in the Alkaline Earth Oxides”, ( Taylor & Francis, London, 1977 ).Google Scholar
- 4.W. A. Sibley, J. L. Kolopus and W. C. Mallard, Phys. Stat. Sol. 34, 223 (1969);Google Scholar
- B. Henderson and J. E. Wertz, Defects in the Alkaline Earth Oxides, ( Taylor and Francis, London, 1977 ).Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. Krumhansl, in Proc. Intern. Conf. Lattice Dynamics Copenhagen 1963 ( Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1965 ).Google Scholar
- 8.C. L. Tsai, Dissertation, Louisiana State University, 1976 (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 12.P. G. Klein, Solid State Physics, Ed. by F. Seitz and D. Turnbull (Academic Press, New York 1958 ) Vol. 7, p. 87.Google Scholar
- R. O. Pohl, in Elementary Excitations in Solids, ed. by A. A. Maradudin and G. F. Nardelli, ( Plenum Press, New York, 1969 ).Google Scholar
- 16.A. V. Granato, in Dislocation Dynamics, ed. by A. R. Rosenfield, G. T. Hahn, A. L. Bement and R. I. Jaffee ( McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968 );Google Scholar
- 20.The first excited energy of the trapped-hole center is on the order of 0.01 ev which is close to the energy of the resonant absorption phonon.Google Scholar
- 22.J. P. Stott, private communication: J. P. Stott, D. Grasse., B. von Guerard and J. Peisl, in Proc. Int. Conf. on Defects in Insulating Crystals, ed. by M. Mostoller, p. 408, (Gatlinburg, Tennessee, October, 1977 ).Google Scholar