Metabolic Abnormalities Underlying the Pathogenesis of Vitamin D Resistant Rickets (VDRR)
Until recently, human investigation was the only means to study the pathogenesis of VDRR. In 1976 the discovery of a mouse model by Eicher et al facilitated the study of this disease. After five years, a substantial amount of data has accumulated, which will be summarized here.
KeywordsBrush Border Membrane Proximal Convoluted Tubule Hypophosphatemic Rickets Transport Defect Phosphate Depletion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brunette, M.G., Chan, M., Lebrun, M., 1981, Phosphatase activity along the nephron of mice with hypophosphatemic vitamin D resistant rickets, Kidney Int., In Press.Google Scholar
- Drezner, M.K., Holmes, E.W., and Sabina, R.L., 198l, Evidence for phosphate deficiency in the X-linked hyp-mouse kidney: observations paradoxical to normal serum 1,25(OH)2D3 levels, Am. Soc. Bone and Minerals, Annual Meetings, Cincinnati, (Abstract).Google Scholar
- Eicher, E.M., Southard, J.L., Scriver, C.R., and Glorieux, F., 1976, Hypophosphatemia: mouse model for human familial hypophosphatemic (vitamin D resistant) rickets, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 73:4667–4671.Google Scholar
- Haddad, J.G., Chyu, K.J., Hahn, T.J., and Stamp, T.C.B., 1973, Serum concentrations of 25 hydroxy vitamin D in sex-linked hypophosphatemic vitamin D-resistant rickets, J. Lab. Clin. Med., 8l:22.Google Scholar
- Isogna, K., Stewart, A., and Gertner, J., 198l, Impaired response to acute phosphorus deprivation in sex-linked hypophosphatemic rickets, Am. Soc. for Bone and Minerals, Annual Meeting, Cincinnati.Google Scholar
- Meyer, R.A., Gray, R.W., Kiebza, K., and Mish, P.M., 1980b, Altered vitamin D, cyclic nucleotide and trace mineral metabolism, E. Ritz and H. Jahn Eds., Phosphate and Minerals in Health and Disease, Plenum Press, New York, 351–359.Google Scholar
- Meyer, R.A., Meyer, M.H., and Gray, R.W., 1981, Metabolites of vitamin D in X-linked hypophosphatemic mice, Am. Soc. for Bone and Minerals, Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, (Abstract 22A).Google Scholar
- Mulbauer, R., Bonjour, J.P., and Fleisch, H., 1980, Tubular handling of phosphate and Ca in X-linked hypophosphatemic mice: defective adaptation to Pi restriction associated with a renal Ca leak, VII International Conference on Ca Regulating Hormones, Estes Park, Colorado.Google Scholar