Defective Hormonal Stimulation of Isolated Hepatocytes in Phosphorous Depleted Rats
In the past, some clinical evidence has been presented of disturbed liver function in patients with phosphorous depletion (PD) and hypophosphatemia. Frank and Kern (1) reported deterioration of hepatic function in a cirrhotic patient coincident with the development of hypophosphatenia. Furthermore, Rajan et al. (2) emphasized that hypophosphatemic patients with cirrhosis tend to undergo greater hepatic decompensation than do patients with normal blood phosphorous.
KeywordsGlucose Production Hepatic Coma Trypan Blue Exclusion Method Serum Inorganic Phosphorus Krebs Bicarbonate Buffer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Frank, B.W., Kern, F. Jr., 1962, Serum inorganic phosphorus during hepatic coma, Arch. Int. Med., 110: 101.Google Scholar
- 2.Rajan, K.S., Levinson, R., Leevy, C.M., 1973, Hepatic anoxia secondary to hypophosphatemia, Clin. Res., 21: 521.Google Scholar
- 6.Hörl, W.H., Kreusser, W., Heidland, A., Ritz, E., 1980, Abnormalities of glycogen metabolism in cardiomyopathy of phosphorous depletion, Adv. Exper. Biol. Med., 128:343.Google Scholar
- 7.Kreusser, W., Vetter, H., et al., in this issue.Google Scholar
- 10.Kurokawa, K., Kreusser, W., Massry, S.G., 1978, Phosphate depletion and adenine nucleotide metabolism in kidney and liver, Adv. Exper. Biol. Med., 103:327.Google Scholar
- 12.Travis, S.F., Sugerman, H.J., Tuberg, R.L., Dudrick, S.J., Delivoria-Papadopoulos, M., Miller, L.D., Oski, F.A., 1971, Alterations of red-cell glycolytic intermediates and oxygen transport as a consequence of hypophosphatemia in patients receiving intravenous hyperalimentation, N. Engl. J. Med., 285:763.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kreusser, W.J., Descoeudres, C., Oda, Y., Massry, S.G., Kurokawa, K., 1980, Effect of phosphate depletion on renal gluconeogenesis, Mineral Electrolyte Metab., 3:312.Google Scholar