Early Interventions for Families with Chronically Ill Children
The initial response of the family to the diagnosis of a chronic disease is the focus of this presentation because the origins of many of the long term psychosocial problems associated with chronic disease can be traced to this early phase. For the same reason, early interventions designed to deal with these problems at their inception are critically important.
KeywordsChildhood Leukemia Coping Effort Individual Coping Chronic Mental Disorder Chronic Physical Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Glass, A. J.: Psychotherapy in the Combat Zone. American Journal of Psychiatry, 110: 10, 728, 1954.Google Scholar
- Glass, A. J.: Psychiatry in the Korean Campaign: A Historical Review. U. S. Armed Forces Medical Journal, 4: 1563–1585, 1953.Google Scholar
- Greenblatt, M.: The Prevention of Hospitalization: Treatment without Admission for Psychiatric Patients. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1963.Google Scholar
- Janis, I., and Mann, L.: Decision Making: A Psychological Analysis of Conflict, Choice and Commitment, New York: Free Press, 1977.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, D. M., Crobstein, R., and Smith, A.: Predicting the Impact of Severe Illness in Families. Health and Social Work, 1: 3, August, 1976.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, D. M., Smith, A., Grobstein, R., and Fischmann, S.: Family Mediation of Stress, Social Work, 60–69, July, 1973.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, D. M., Grandstaff, N.: A Problem Solving Approach to Terminal Illness for the Family and Physician. In C. Garfield (Ed.) Stress and Survival, New York: Mosby Company, 343–352, 1979.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, D. M. and Grandstaff, N.: Early Case Findings and Psychosocial Interventions for Problem Coping Families with Breast Cancer. Macomber Award B-172, American Cancer Society, California Division, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- Langsley, D. and Kaplan, D. M.: The Treatment of Families in Crisis. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1968.Google Scholar
- Lindemann, E.: Symptomatology and Management of Acute Grief. American Journal of Psychiatry, 101: 2, 141–148, 1944.Google Scholar
- Querido, A.: Early Diagnosis and Treatment Services. Elements of a Community Mental Health Program. New York: Milbank Memorial Fund, 1956.Google Scholar