Therapeutic Efficacy of Cytosine Arabinoside Trapped in Liposomes
A number of cancer chemotherapeutic agents have been encapsulated in liposomes and tested for their therapeutic effects (Kimelberg and Mayhew, 1978; Gregoriadis, 1979). However there have been few reports where direct comparisons of the therapeutic index of the liposome-entrapped drug and the free drug, administered under optimal conditions, have been made. There have been reports which indicate no increase in therapeutic effect for methotrexate (Kimelberg and Atchison, 1978; Kaye et al., 1980) or Actinomycin D (Kaye et al., 1979; Kaye and Ryman, 1980; Kedar et al., 1981) whereas increases in therapeutic index have been reported for adriamycin (Forssen and Tokes, 1979, 1981; Rahman et al., 1980, Olson et al., in press) after entrapment of these clinically useful drugs in liposomes.
KeywordsFree Drug Therapeutic Index Roswell Park Memorial Institute Cytosine Arabinoside Mean Survival Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ellens, H., Mayhew, E. and Rustum, Y., Reversible depression of the reticulo-endothelial system by liposomes, Biochim. Biophys. Acta. (submitted).Google Scholar
- Gregoriadis, G., 1979, Liposomes in: “Drug Carriers in Biology and Medicine”, G. Gregoriadis, ed., Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Haynes, D.H. and Kang, C.H., 1978, Saturation of uptake of liposomes by the reticulo-endothelial system: possible use for increased tumor specificity, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci., 308: 440.Google Scholar
- Kaye, S.B., Boden, J.A., Bagshaw, K.D. and Ryman, B.E., 1979, Effect of liposome encapsulation of actinomycin D on its therapeutic efficacy, Brit. J. Cancer, 40: 818.Google Scholar
- Kaye, S.B., Boden, J.A. and Ryman, B.E., 1980, Application of liposome entrapped cytotoxic drugs to the treatment in vivo of drug resistant solid murine tumors, Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res., 21: 254.Google Scholar
- Kimelberg, H.K. and Mayhew, E., 1978, Properties and Biological effects of liposomes and their uses in pharmacology and toxicology in: “CRC Critical Reviews in Toxicology,” L. Goldberg, ed., CRC Press Inc., Florida.Google Scholar
- Mayhew, E., Rustum, Y. and Szoka, F., 1980, Efficacy of liposome-entrapped cytosine arabinoside compared with infused free Ara-Cagainst L1210 tumor, Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res., 21: 293.Google Scholar
- Olson, F., Mayhew, E., Maslow, D., Rustum, Y. and Szoka, F., 1982, Characterization, toxicity and therapeutic efficacy of adriamycin encapsulated in liposomes, Eur. J. Cancer.Google Scholar
- Semon, J.H. and Grindey, G.B., 1978, Potentiation of the Anti-tumor activity of Methotrexate by Concurrent Infusion ofThymidine, Cancer Res., 38: 2405.Google Scholar
- Skipper, H.E., Schabel, F.M., Jr. and Wilcox, W.S., 1967, Experimental evaluation of potential anticancer agents, XXI. Scheduling of arabinosylcytosine to take advantage of its S-phase specificity against leukemia cells, Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, 51: 125.Google Scholar