Stimulation of Plasma Waves by Electron Guns on the ISEE-1 Satellite
The ISEE-1 satellite carries two electron guns for control of the satellite potential. The characteristics of these guns and their functioning in space are described in a parallel paper (Pedersen, these proceedings). Here it is sufficient to repeat that both guns were designed to inject electrons at energies up to 48 eV and with a total current up to 500 μA into the ambient plasma. Significant enhancements in the electric field wave spectrum have been observed during the gun operations (Mozer et al., 1979).
KeywordsSolar Wind Plasma Wave Plasma Potential Ambient Plasma Electron Plasma Frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gurnett, D.A., Scarf, F.L., Fredricks, R.W, and Smith, E.J.,: The ISEE-1 and -2 plasma wave investigation, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Electron. GE-16, 225.Google Scholar
- Harvey, C.C., Bavassano-Cattaneo, M.B., Dobrowolny, M., Orsini, S., Mangeney, A., and Russell, C.T., Correlated wave and particle observations upstream of the Earth’s bow shock. J. Geophys. Res., 1981, accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- Kawashima, N., Murasato, Y., Kubö, H., Mukai, T., Ejiri, M., Miyatake, S., Matsumoto, H., and Oya, H.,: Controlled beam experiment (CBE) in “Jikiken”(Exos-B), Proceeding of the International Workshop on Selected topics of Magnetospheric Physics, Tokyo, 1979.Google Scholar
- Mozer, F.S., Torbert, R.B., Fahleson, U.V., Fälthammar, C-G., Gonfalone, A., Pedersen, A.: Measurements of quasi-static and low frequency electric fields with spherical double probes on the ISEE-1 spacecraft, IEEE transactions on Geoscience Electronics, Vol. GE-16, no. 3, 1978.Google Scholar
- Mozer, F.S., Torbert, R.B., Anderson, R.R., Gonfalone, A., Etcheto, J., and Harvey, C.C.,: Observation of radiation from an electron beam on-board ISEE-1. Proc. Chapman Conference for Waves and Instabilities in Space Plasma, Denver Colorado, August 1979.Google Scholar
- Pedersen, A.: Plasma diagnostics by electron guns and electric field probes on ISEE-1. These proceedings.Google Scholar
- Winkler, J.R.: The application of artificial electron beams to magnetospheric research, Univ. of Minnesota, Cosmic Physics, Technical Report ≠≠ 183, 1979, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455.Google Scholar