Theory of Beam Plasma Discharge
The deposition rate of the beam energy to plasma waves, and the accompanying beam energy relaxation length.
The ratio of wave energy heating electrons by electron neutral collisions, and creating suprathermal tails by collapse (i.e., turbulent acceleration).
The physics and time scale of axial and radial confinement of the cold, energetic electrons and beam electrons (i.e., electrostatic, collisional or anomalous diffusion, vehicle motion, etc.).
Based on these we present a description of BPD, its properties and its accompanying wave emission phenomena and apply the results to laboratory situations and to beam plasma experiments from rockets and the space shuttle.
KeywordsEnergetic Electron Excited Wave Ambient Plasma Beam Plasma Suprathermal Electron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernstein, W., Leinbach, H., Kellogg, P., Monson, S.J., Hallinan, T., Garriott, O.K., Konradi, A., McCoy, J., Daley, P., Baker, B., and Anderson, H.R., 1978, “Electron beam experiments: the beam-plasma discharge at low pressures and magnetic field strengths,” Geophys. Res. Ltrs., 5:127.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Briggs, R.J., 1964, “Electron-stream interactions with plasmas,” MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Jost, R.J., Anderson, H.R., and McGarity, J.O., 1981, “Measured electron energy distributions during electron beam plasma interactions,” Geophys. Res. Lett, (in press).Google Scholar
- Kharchenko, I.F., Fainberg, Ya. B., Nikoloev, R.M., Kornilov, E.A., Lutsenko, E.I. and Pedenko, N.S., 1962, “The interaction of an electron beam with a plasma in a magnetic field,”Sov. Phys.-Tech. Phys., 6:551.Google Scholar
- Le Queau, D., Pellat R., and Saint-Marc, A., 1980, “An investigation of the electrostatic linear instabilities of a radially limited electron beam,” A. Geoph., 36:433.Google Scholar
- Linson, L.M. and Papadopoulos, K., 1980, “Review of the status of theory and experiment for injection of energetic electron beam in space,” 1980, SAI Tech. Report No. LAPS 69.Google Scholar
- Papadopoulos, K., and Freund, H., 1979, “Scaling laws for the strongly turbulent electron-beam-plasma interaction,” Comments Plasma Phys., 15:113.Google Scholar
- Rowland, H., Chang, C.L. and Papadopoulos, K., 1981, “Scaling of the beam plasma discharge,” J. Geophys. Res. (in press).Google Scholar
- Szuszczewicz, E., Lin, C.S., Walker, D.N. and Bernstein, W., 1981, “Ignition of the beam plasma discharge and its dependence on electron density,” these proceedings.Google Scholar