Description of the Plasma Diagnostics Package (PDP) for the OSS-1 Shuttle Mission and JSC Plasma Chamber Test in Conjunction with the Fast Pulse Electron Gun (FPEG)
The Plasma Diagnostics Package (PDP) and support systems are being readied for flight on the OSS-1 Space Shuttle Mission (STS-4 in 1982) and on the Spacelab-2 Shuttle Mission (1983 or 1984). In March 1981 in the Johnson Space Center Plasma Chamber A, the PDP was utilized to measure the state of the ambient plasma and of phenomena induced by operation of the Utah State University Fast Pulse Electron Gun (FPEG). The FPEG is an element of the Vehicle Charging and Potential (VCAP) investigation on the OSS-1 Mission. On the OSS-1 Mission, the PDP will make plasma measurements as it is swept through the FPEG beam region by the Shuttle Remote Manipulator System (RMS).
KeywordsTemporal Resolution Pitch Angle Electron Flux Plasma Depletion Shuttle Mission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernstein, W., Leinbach, H., Kellogg, P., Monson, S., Hallinan, T., Garriott, O. K., Konradi, A., McCoy, J., Daly, P., Baker, B. and Anderson, H. R., 1978, Electron Beam Injecton Experiments: The Beam-Plasma Discharge at Low Pressures and Magnetic Field Strengths, Geophys. Res. Lett., 5:127.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Clifton, K. Stuart (ed.), “Spacelab Mission-2 Experiment Descriptions,” 1978, NASA TM-78198, Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsvilie, Alabama.Google Scholar
- Jost, R. J., Anderson, H. R. and McGarity, J. O., Electron Energy Distributions Measured During Electron Beam/Plasma Interactions, 1980, Geophys. Res. Lett., 7:509.Google Scholar
- Neupert, Werner M. (ed.), 1979, “Office of Space Sciences-1 Experiment Investigation Descriptions,” NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Raitt, W. J., Banks, P. M., Denig, W. F., White, A. B. and Jost, R. J., 1980, Studies of Electron-Beam Plasma Interactions In a Space Simulation Environment, preprint, Utah State University, Logan, Utah.Google Scholar
- Rowland, H. L., Chang, C. L. and Papadopoulos, K., 1980, Scaling of the Beam Plasma Discharge, preprint, Science Applications, Inc., McLean, Virginia.Google Scholar