Gold-Induced Autoimmune Reactions
Despite widespread clinical use of gold in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) for over 50 years (Anon, 1979), little is known about the mechanism of the therapeutic action of gold and of its toxicity. The efficacy of gold in RA has been well documented, and despite its occasionally serious side effects, such as proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, exfoliative dermatitis, aplastic anemia, agranulocytosis, and thrombocytopenic purpura, gold is today accepted in most countries as a first-line treatment for RA. In the 1970s gold salts were also introduced and successfully used in the treatment of pemphigus (Penneys et al., 1973).
KeywordsRheumatoid Arthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis Patient Aplastic Anemia Gold Salt Membranous Glomerulonephritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon, 1979, Fifty years of gold in rheumatoid arthritis, Br. Med. J. 1:289.Google Scholar
- Forestier, J., 1935, Rheumatoid arthritis and its treatment by gold salts, J. Lab. Clin. Med. 20:827.Google Scholar
- Hurd, E. R., 1977, Drugs affecting the immune response, in: Immunology in Medicine (E. J. Holborow and W. G. Reeves, eds.), Academic Press, London, p. 1080.Google Scholar
- Jellum, E., Aaseth, J., and Munthe, E., 1977, Is the mechanism of action during treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with penicillamine and gold thiomalate the same? Proc. R. Soc. Med. 70(Suppl. 3):136.Google Scholar
- Milgrom, F., 1980, Antigens of vertebrate cells, tissues, and body fluids, Transpl. Proc. 12(suppl. 1):2.Google Scholar
- Milgrom, F., Campbell, W., and Andres, G. A., 1976, Antigen in immune complex nephritis, Immunology 30:277.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, W. M., 1980, Toxicity of d-penicillamine in rheumatoid arthritis Ann. Intern. Med. 92:120.Google Scholar
- Palosuo, T., Provost, T. T., and Milgrom, F., 1976a, Gold nephropathy: Serologic data suggesting an immune complex disease, Clin. Exp. Immunol. 25:311.Google Scholar
- Törnroth, T., and Skrifvars, B., 1974, Gold nephropathy prototype of membranous glomerulonephritis, Am. J. Pathol. 75:573.Google Scholar
- Zilko, P. J., Dawkins, R. L., and Cohen, M. L., 1977, Penicillamine treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: Relationship of proteinuria and autoantibodies to immune status, Proc. R. Soc. Med. 70(Suppl. 3):118.Google Scholar